CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Serious inquiries needed on subject of Raptor vs. DS

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2002, 09:20 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My buddy eRAPTOID is getting some power added in the form of 11:1 piston and higher performing midrange cam, while his locked up transmission gets new gears. He already has the typical - pipe, K&N, Dynojet.
You can see what I have below. Now what do I need? I'm not gonna overbore, only drop-ins and bolt-ons. Who's got the facts? The ol' lady won't let me go too far, so I gotta make it all count. I'm thinking all I need is a piston and portwork, hoping not to go cams too because that gets so costly so quick by the time you do springs too. But am I gonna get what i want outa just a piston, and porting?
Anything that can help, clue me in. I'm geared stock, with 20" tires, run the stock carb tuned as crisp as any you've ever felt, and I can't lose my airbox - although I am lidless.

Plenty of you guys have been through the same thing - chime away.

Old 07-02-2002, 09:45 PM
Pro Rider

I would suggest the piston of course and really if you can swing it the cams and springs. Then I would go with either a 45mm or the duals. The duals could even be good if you dont do anything internal, I think anyways. One way to get things cheaper is to buy used. Have it checked and as long as it is in speck, who cares! I almost had a piston, carb, springs, and everything for $400.00 but I just couldn't come up with the money fast enough before it was all gone. Thats like $1200.00 new. But the most bang for the buck and as long as your careful and dont get too crazy the cheapest HP is NOS. Yet another $.02 from the Demon. Good thing it isn't more than that or I would have to sell the quad LOL

Old 07-02-2002, 09:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Demon is right. The best bang for the buck will always the power adder NOS. The only problem is your limited to so much usage before you have to refill. You will also want to run rich or risk detonation. I would shy away from the high comprssion piston. 2 reasons: 1)Raising an engine 1 point typically only yields about a 3% power gain or about 1.5 horsepower on the DS. 2) you do this at the risk of detonation unless you run higher octane. I wouldn't trust 93 octane with 11.5:1. Some can get away with it, but is it worth 3 horsepower? Much more performance can be found in the head. The short side radius needs some smoothing. The bowl can definitely use some help. The ususal matching on the intake and working the valve stem boss would help too. A steady hand and a good day of work with a die grinder and I bet you could get 5 - 8 hp and retain 100% reliability.

Old 07-02-2002, 11:00 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Hightower- Do it all and right the first time. I went to conservative on mine. I have not run a stage 3 with the goodies but the 2 was not a match yet. Dusty has since switched to alky so i do not know for sure. I feel mine will still be slighty ahead as he had a few lengths to make up. I made a 500 dollar parts mistake, cause i am going to replace the piston and cam. Could of had what i am about to order for the same price as what i did. I did not want to run race gas, when i had mine done. Hindsight at the most it will only cost 300 more a year to switch fuel.

Old 07-03-2002, 12:16 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Who's the source for your shim-under-bucket buckets, and did you get the springs from them or Web?
Did Web have to grind your cams and send them back to you, or is it a core exchange? I haven't seen any listings for DS cams, but then again I haven't looked in a while either.

I guess its either all or nothing - might as well not screw around with halfway. I'll have to give it some thought. So very little of my ride time is spent dragging, but when we do it, it sure is nice to win. I just don't want to sacrifice anything for the fast paced, twisty, windy, up and down trail riding that I love so much. My DS is tuned very well, and the throttle response is absolutely tremendous, I don't want to lose that.

Old 07-03-2002, 12:38 AM
Pro Rider

I got both from SamCoe for around $600.00 give them a call

Old 07-03-2002, 01:12 AM
Pro Rider

<< The ol' lady won't let me go too far, so I gotta make it all count. >>

If you can convince her it's a &quot;safety issue&quot; you can probably talk her into just about anything; &quot;Honey, it's dangerous not to have a turbo charger&quot;. Wive's are suckers for this ploy. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 07-03-2002, 12:18 PM
Pro Rider

I don't know what to tell ya Hitower. Good luck maybe[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

So are you saying that you are gonna go ahead and do this, or do like I did and wait on the &quot;need&quot; to go inside? If you are not waiting on the need, the I suspect this is something you'll do in the Winter?!

I do know that the DS's can really come to life with some work. They can be one of the hardest pulling machines out there. I've seen several!

And I'm ONLY going piston and cam, probably not even head work (due to time frame). So I couldn't tell ya what all it will take for you to out-pull me, especially since it hasnt't been done yet.

I just want to know WHEN you are doing it!!!!!!

Later dude.

Old 07-04-2002, 12:33 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

eRaptoid - I was planning on going down early this winter for porting, and I've had an offer to buy a piston with only a few hours on it at half price, because the guy decided to go 760. I figure, might as well pull the head only once, which makes me have to consider the whole cam thing too. Cam swaps are easy to swap, under an hour, but I gotta pull the head for valve spring installation, so if I go cams too then which ones, and will I need springs for the ones I choose?? The list of questions goes on and on, that's what's so fun about this hobby.

Marky - aint gotta devorce her, Aint even married yet!

TRXter - I've used the safety bit too much already, she won't buy it again - Roll pegs, Nerfs, etc. - all for safety. I even convinced her the Tach was for safety!

When my water pump died last week, and put all my coolant in my crankcase, the first thing I thought was okay - if my headgasket is gone then SHE doesn't need to know how much I spent on goodies while I was in there, just how much it cost to FIX it! Come to think of it, maybe I can still play that out...

Old 07-04-2002, 12:51 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Marky - does the cam grind you have require heavier valve springs - did you just switch to the shim-under-bucket for reliability reasons and keep the stock springs?
Do the typical &quot;sport cams&quot; for all around riding require springs?
Just getting all my facts striaght, to know what kind of money I'm getting into.

Quick Reply: Serious inquiries needed on subject of Raptor vs. DS