CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Are WORKS shocks any good?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2002, 09:27 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

every time i jump and go big my DS i always manage to bottem out my front shocks. Are the Triple rate with rezzies Works shocks any good? i had dual rates with rezzies on my banshee but never really jumped with them. are they worth the $500 or are my stocks just as good.

Old 07-08-2002, 10:11 PM
Pro Rider

I would go with a shock that has a 5/8 in shaft. The works pros have the 5/8 shaft and if you special order the steelers you can get the 5/8 shaft. I have broken 2 works shocks with the 1/2 shafts jumping the beast. The 1/2 in just too small for a quad the size of the ds. I sent my steelers back and had 5/8 in shafts put on my steelers and a stiffer spring rate set up. I havn't ridden on them yet I am waiting for my a arms to come in first. I am hoping that the a arms and the new shocks will cure my problem.

Old 07-08-2002, 10:42 PM
Trailblazer

does it cost extra for the 5/8 shaft?

Old 07-08-2002, 10:56 PM
Pro Rider

Yes it does, but not really that much I think that it is like 30 bucks more a shock. If you don't air it out really big the regular shocks will work for you. I beat the crap out of them and they only bent on a really big jump where I landed on the flat instead of the down slope of the dune and that was my fault. I was real happy with the ride and performance of the shocks but I jut wanted somthing a little beefier and boy are those 5/8 shafts beefy!!! I can't wait to try them out!!

Old 07-08-2002, 11:46 PM
Pro Rider

I think DSaholic is on to something here. For $60 bucks more those 5/8" shafts on triple rate steelers with rezzies is a lot of bang for the buck.
Get your spring rates right, and don't worry about the adjustable dampening, cause if you add that $ you might as well get the pro piggybacks.
....Zero preload, and one pair of soft helpers (240#)will give you the sag.
Combine that with 500# helpers and either 175#, 210# or 240# mainsprings will give you awesome front suspension. Choose the 175 if you weigh under 175 and barely jump. Choose 240# if you like big air and have some meat on your bones. I jump a little and weigh 210, guess which mainspring I use? BTW I have tried them all. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 07-08-2002, 11:51 PM
Trailblazer

where can i order the shocks with the 5/8 shafts??

Old 07-09-2002, 10:38 AM
Pro Rider

Call works and talk to one of the tech reps. let them know what you are interested in and they will set you up. I talked to Oscar and he was a great help. I ended up with 900# helpers (I know too stiff but that is what he suggested) I am tired of breaking shocks and if I want to just put around I can always put the stock ones back on. I do jump alot and hard so the best thing for me was to give up on the soft ride and go for something that can take the abuse. I do have the 500 and 600 springs taht were on there so if it is too stiff I can always go back to a lighter spring. The 30 bucks each for the 5/8 shafts was just off my head but I think that the shafts were like 60 bucks when I bought them by thenselves so the difference between the two is right around 60 bucks but don't quote me on that. Good luck [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-09-2002, 11:04 AM
Pro Rider

Anybody know how much it costs to add rezzies to front shocks? My steelers didn't come with rezzies and I race MX. I haven't had any problem with shock fade yet but I want to be on the safe side.

Old 07-09-2002, 11:50 AM
Pro Rider

DSaholic!
..900# helpers!! Good Grief!! That thing must ride like a Mack truck!!
The whole point of sag, zero-preload, using light helper springs, is to lower the ride height and improve cornering. Once the quad is up in the air, even those light springs will fully extend, so when you land it is the SHOCK's DAMPENING that takes the full landing, not just the spring rate. Besides, the light helper springs only account for the first two inches of travel anyway. If you are jumping big just for the sake of jumping big, well fine, whatever. But if you are racing MX you want better cornering or desert you want a better ride. The right combination of MAINSPRING, helpers and dampening should give you whatever you need, without going to 900# helpers. Man that must hurt.
.... What mainsprings are you using? 240# sound like what you need, but you can still have a decent ride using your 500# & 600# helpers. But you are not going to get much sag even with zero preload. That's the way my Works came, I thought they were way to stiff.
.... Adjustable rezzies will add dampening, never subtract, for about $150/pair, plus installation, about $60 from Works. Adding rezzies is not hard, but you have to have the rig to pressurize them to 250 psi of Nitrogen or Argon.
....I am amazed someone from Works suggested 900# helpers in front. Did he discuss Mainsprings with you? additional dampening by revalving the shock or adding compression adjustable rezzies? increasing crossover spacers? Don't you want a soft landing without bottoming out? The DS has 12" of travel, both are very achievable.
....If your mainsprings are too light, and you don't have enough dampening, that is what is going to bottom out your front shocks. Adding 900# helpers is just going to lose any decent ride quality and any possible sag. Next time you talk to Works, talk to Sandy. Oscar needs to go back to the shipping department. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 07-09-2002, 01:55 PM
Pro Rider

Well like I said I had that same set up that you are talking about and I was breaking shocks. I went with the stiffer springs too see what it would do and if i don't like it I will change back to the softer springs. The preload on mine is not adjustable and set at zero. I hope that thet work out but if not works will reset them anyway I want for free. I also will be going with a plus 1 A arm so the leverage factor will be greater than stock. This is why they went with the stiffer helper springs. I hope that they work out for me, but if not I can always change the setup.

So you are saying that I can land a 70 ft long 15 ft high jump and not bottom out or break the shaft with the 500 and 600 springs??

Quick Reply: Are WORKS shocks any good?