CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Rubicon ou a Traxter XT

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2002, 04:21 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whether a bike has dual overhead cams or just a single doesn't determine the need for valve adjustment. All SOHC cam motors I've ever worked on - which includes everything with the exception of the DS - have adjsutable tappets on the rocker arms, and as vavles receed into the head further over time due to seat wear the clearance between the valve and rocker arms needs maintained.

I don't mean to bash the traxter or quest at all - they are super bikes, and I really like them, I just have a preference for Cat when it comes to utility. I was only showing one example when talking about motor work - I really mean the whole bike, everything on it is simplicity.

I do like the idea of the step through design on the Bombs that most people seem to hate. Sure it looks like kinda like a Grandpas bike, but when your racks are loaded down with logging supplies or hunting gear it gets a little harder to hike your leg over the seat to get on - its a nice feature for practical use.

Old 07-25-2002, 04:31 PM
Mar
Pro Rider

You dont need to do it on a quest and i also think a traxter because i think the traxter has hydrolic lifters. A DOHC and SOHC have a much smoother operation and probably will never need adjusting. My quest, traxter, Kodiak, grissly 02 never needed touching. However my 96 kodiak needed it you could hear when it went out.

And you should try a quest 650 for a day. THERE built like tanks.

As for the step thru. Yes it makes getting on and off easier. But i also think its the best when going thru water. Its much safer to put your feet in there then to hold them up in the way of the handlebars.

Overall there neat bikes. And to tell you the truth i dont ever think I accually saw a arctic cat bike. There very rare in canada.

Old 07-26-2002, 12:00 AM
Pro Rider

my uncle has a traxter auto, its a great work machine, he tows empty grain wagons with it, hes got a which 2 so its perfect for wen my ds gets stuck(which ain't often), great trail machine

Old 07-26-2002, 01:35 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

What do you mean by

<< A DOHC and SOHC have a much smoother operation and probably will never need adjusting. >>

My DS is dual overhead cam and needs adjusting, and my other bikes are single overhead cam and also need adjusting, as do all motors that do not have hydraulic lifters, including cars and trucks that have overhead cams w/o hydraulic lifters.
Just gaining/spreading knowledge here, not trying to be difficult...