CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

What dunes do you recommend for 1st timer going WEST??

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2002, 09:22 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Me and 3 or 4 friends from Indiana are planning to make a trip out west for the first time next summer/fall. What I need to know is where we should go? We want huge, massive, tall steep dunes. The kinda hills that are "400's need not apply" style. Most of us were set on Sand Mountain Utah (1700 miles), but I've seen some awesome footage and pictures of plenty of other places too, and can't make up my mind. California is too far this time around. The farthest we've seen is Little Sahara OK so I've never climbed a dune over 100ft tall, if that even!
Where do you recommend? Include picture links to back up your opinions if you can!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, and don't forget to include WHEN we should come, 'cause we don't know much about the weather out there either!

Consider this an invite for all midwesterners to join the caravan, and acceptance for those out west that would like to show us around! Thanks in advance!

Old 08-18-2002, 09:27 PM
Range Rover

The best dunes around are at St. Anthony, Idaho there is a lot of area to ride on and hills range from 20' to 350' high, go to wyoduner.com and check out the St. Anthony pics, there are also pics and videos of other dunes around the area.

Old 08-18-2002, 09:29 PM
Pro Rider

Glamis, CA. Just find the time, Halloween or thanksgiving are two big weekends. I guarantee you you will see more bikes,girls,(.)(.)'s,rails than you have EVER seen. Everything from $100 to $100,000 rides (yepers $100,000) Put it this way, Robby Gordon comes out there to play with his toys........

Michael

Old 08-18-2002, 09:47 PM
Pro Rider

Saint Anthonys ID and LS, Utah are only 6 hrs apart. Spend a couple of days at both places....Temp spread is 10-12 degrees. April is the best here where end of May till end of June in Idaho. I like it around 50-60 degrees myself so I like March and April the best...

Old 08-18-2002, 10:04 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I'm likin' Sandgod's idea - the two biggest sets of dunes I know of, in one trip! Is St. Anthony's where ChokeCherry is?
What's the rain situation like in the spring out there? If I drive that far I need guaranteed dry powder! We're camping, so cool weather is prefered, I like sleeping when its cold much better than riding in the heat!

Old 08-18-2002, 10:12 PM
Pro Rider

Glamis is a very large riding area and a lot of fun but the hills there can't compare to either Little Sahara Ut. (Sand Mountain) or St. Anthony's, plus it's a lot closer to you guys. There not that far apart either, I would guess about 8 hours drive between the two. If it was me I would go to both of these areas as they are different from each other, S.A., soft sand, very smoth rolling dunes that you can open it up on where L.S. is stiffer sand and more techenical (not sure if thats the right word) great for MXing plus true bowls, great playgrounds. Hills?, Ut. has Sand Mtn. with many different runs and out in the dunes there are many shorter steep climbs, S.A., has Choke Cherry, Devils Dune, Dead Horse bowl and many others. IMHO Wyoduner has one of the best sites for these dunes, many pics and vids, gets pretty warm in Utah in the summer
Is Bigwaynester comeing with you guys?

Old 08-18-2002, 10:16 PM
Pro Rider

LS was nice a little hot to say the least. Sandgod was kind enough to show us around for our first time there the end of june beg. of july. Had a great time. But hands down Saint Anthonys is the best. If you can fit them both in you will not be disapointed. Coke cherry is OK but devils dune......oh hell yes.

Trending Topics

Old 08-18-2002, 10:28 PM
Pro Rider

Weather temps can be an issue. End of May you will see 80-85 but at night the low 40's which means 30's in Idaho at night. Just get a room in Rexburg unless your in a Motorhome. Only 10 miles away from the dunes. Both areas have about the same amount of acreage to ride. The sand in Idaho is the softest by far of the four I've been to, Glamis, Dumont, LS, SA...

Old 08-18-2002, 10:56 PM
Pro Rider

I would agree with sandgod, do both st. anthony and little sahara. I love them both. It is nice for me, because st. a's is about 5 hours and little sahara is about 4 hours.

If after memorial day and before labor day do st. anthony. If before of after those days, do both, but I really enjoy little sahara. I even did little sahara in the middle of january. There was some snow in areas of the dunes. Rode with a jacket, but was plenty warm.

Bat

Old 08-18-2002, 11:08 PM
Pro Rider

As I put up in the EG forum, I have been thinking about taking on a little project. DS DAYS 2003!! I am thinking about the very area that everyone has been recommending. St Anthony's ID. It will be officially unofficial like 4 stroke wars and I am open as to when and where but I am trying to go a tad East so the guys from the east can come and besides it is time for you west coast people to see these dunes LOL. If anyone has a problem with me doing this, say now and i will step down and let someone else. Plan now so it will ROCK later right!!

Quick Reply: What dunes do you recommend for 1st timer going WEST??