CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

IS THE RON WOODS STG 1 THE BOMB FOR THE DS?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2000, 12:14 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I shipped the pipe back to ron to get it fixed - cost me $20! I decided to keep the carb so I can continue tuning the thing, but I have installed the stock carb for now. I'm basically starting over with the kit. I will run the DS stock to have a new starting point to work from. I might try tuning the stock carb first before going back to the 45mm carb. Once I go back to the 45mm carb, I better see an improvement in the way the DS runs. If not, I will have to mess with it some more untill it runs better than the stock carb. Then I will install the pipe and fine tune the carb if necessary.

Old 04-28-2000, 09:45 AM
Trailblazer

got an e-mail reply from Elliot w/RWR and they are sending me the accelerator pump parts and a bunch of jets. they also mentioned that the upper rpm flutter/bog is the valves floating. he said that the stock valve springs are a little weak. hopfully I will have time this weekend to dial in the dial-o-jet. see you on monday.

Old 04-28-2000, 10:50 AM
Trailblazer

So, what they are saying is that the engine was NOT designed to run in the upper RPM range and it could be damaged if you do this. Is the rev limiter box worth breaking a spring in the engine over. The statement of somone earlier saying that the valves had enough clearance to go to 9000 rpm should also include needing stiffer springs. By the way, how much more power is there above the 7700 rpm limit as from stock?

Old 04-28-2000, 07:05 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I was experiencing bog at less than 7700 RPM (I have the ron wood tachometer installed). This is not valves floating, it is a carb jetting problem. I was running too rich on the jet needle and main jet, fouling the plugs. I couldn't get over 7700 RPM in 4th gear or 6000 RPM in 5th gear riding in sand. A stock DS650 would pass me at the end of the drag due to my bogging.

I just received my K&N filter for the airbox.

Old 04-28-2000, 10:19 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Well everything is back to stock form except for the rev box. And you know what, the DS runs 100% better, thank God! The jetting needs work on that RW kit. I can't believe I was riding the DS the way it was running. And I can't believe the number of banshees I was beating too. I think what I'll do now is re-familarize myself with the way the stock DS runs by riding it for a bit. Then, I'll go back to the 45mm carb without the RW pipe and adjust the jetting until it runs like the stock setup. I can easily go back and forth between the two carbs to compare them. I ought to be able to at least determine the correct pilot jet and jet needle with the stock pipe. When I get the RW pipe back, all that I think I'll need to fine tune is the jet needle position and main jet. I think this is the way to do it. If the weather holds up I should make some progress this weekend. I won't be able to get the accelerator pump working yet though. The O-ring that holds it in place got damaged and now excess gas leaks into the main bore when the accelerator pump is pumping. I should have some new O-rings early next week. My thumb is sore and has a 1" blister from that tight throttle spring!

Old 04-29-2000, 12:29 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

A ticket, that bites. I need a spark arrestor too if I ride at a state park. I also need a registraion sticker, but since I bought the DS for farm use, no sticker. To get the sticker would cost me hundreds of dollars.

Old 04-29-2000, 10:02 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I took the DS out today and could not believe how smooth the DS was running. It was pulling hard in the midrange and upperrange, harder than the RW stage one kit, and the upper RPMs were smoother too. The DS was hauling ***, I think is does over 75. The rev box is sweet in and of itself. I think the DS was accelerating faster and reaching higher speeds than the RW stage one kit. The DS ran so good I did not mess with the jetting on the stock carb and I didn't go back to the 45mm carb yet. This was the best day of riding I've had since getting that kit a month ago.

Old 04-29-2000, 10:06 PM
Range Rover

Farm use for a DS 650, you got to be kidding! Hundereds of dollars for a sticker are yearly stickers in MI are $16.25

Old 04-30-2000, 06:44 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Has anyone tried a #97 jet needle with a #25-30 pilot jet, and a #60 accelerator pump nozzle with the RW carb?

Old 05-01-2000, 09:02 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Someone ought to get a K&N air/fuel monitor and hook it up with the ron wood kit installed to get that thing jetted correctly. OK, OK, I'll do it. The alternative would be to bring the DS to the local dynojet center and have it dyno'd including air/fuel curve.

Quick Reply: IS THE RON WOODS STG 1 THE BOMB FOR THE DS?