CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

clutch problem?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2002, 07:05 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, awhile back I had posted about my clutch actuating arm sticking about half way. I changed the oil and it did not do it again. Then this weekend, it was getting a good hard run and it started doing it again.

The clutch actuating arm that the cable connects to on top of the case sticks, it is close to where it would be when the clutch lever is completely released. Then of course the bike will barely move. It feels like the clutch is slipping, but when you look down you can see the arm stuck.

I am going to pull it apart, but am not sure what to look for. Weird thing is, that when it did it before, it would do it anytime it got hot. Then after changing the oil and running it pretty hard it seemed fine. But now, about a month later and the 2nd good hard ride it starts doing it agian.

I think I might try a different oil, but not sure. I have the hp4 in it right now and have been running it for awhile. Also, I have the pami springs in it. When cold it all seems to work fine and then it will just all of a sudden stick.

Any ideas on what to look for? Someone before had said maybe the clutch basket has a groove in it and is hanging up on that. Any other suggestions? I am hoping it does not need any new parts, as I am going riding again this weekend.

Thanks for any tips
Bat

PS. If there is a burr or something on the basket could I just clean it up a little and get by with it? And why would it only do it when hot?

Old 08-26-2002, 07:52 PM
Pro Rider

Ok, I found the problem. One of the teeth on the clutch rack actuator (as bomb calls it) has broken off. It was kind of wedged into the clutch release shaft.

Anyhow, I need to find both these parts asap. If you know of anyone who has these, or a dealer who might have them please let me know. I dont have a local dealer, so I am trying to find a good place to get these parts.

Now, I wonder if having the super tough pami clutch springs has caused this, I mean the clutch pull is so tough maybe it caused it???

Thanks for any help
Bat

Old 08-26-2002, 11:22 PM
Pro Rider

Bat,

Sorry to read about this problem, but it may not be as bad as you thought.

First, the cause. Every one that I have seen that did this, happened durring re-assembly. The shaft that comes off the clutch basket gets turned just a bit as the cover is being slid on, and then the shaft that comes through the cover breaks it as it engages. Remember during re-assebly, if it doesn't slid right on, easily, it's not lined up right. Try stuffing the shaft off the basket with assembly lube or a grease that will break down in oil so it doesn't rotate as you slide the cover on.

Now, the fix. Odds are, you only broke a tooth or two. Remove any loose parts with a pick, to avoid them dropping in the motor. Line the broken teeth up with the "open" area in the clutch cover [were the basket shaft enters the cover]. Rotate the shaft 90 degrees counterclockwise, as viewed from above. Install the cover. This will ensure that the broken teeth are not used in the operation of the clutch.

This is an expediant method of getting you up and running. Obviously, it's better to replace the shaft, but I know several people that have used the shaft with broken teeth for a long time now.

Old 08-27-2002, 01:34 AM
Pro Rider

Knutz, thanks for the reply, but the broken tooth is on the basket shaft.

Right in the middle. I dont think I can avoid those teeth. And I dont think it was from reassembly, but I could be wrong. I put those springs in back in february and it did not act up until the end of July. We were on a week long trip to coral pink dunes and it got a lot of seat time.

It did not happen until the last day of the trip which was nice. I just dont think it would go 5 months with no trouble and then all of a sudden happen.

Again, I could be wrong. But it seems weird. I have a forum member checking for the parts for me in the morning. At least I have the banshee to hold me over on my labor day outing.

If you have any other ideas let me know.

Knutz, have any of your customers ever run half the pami springs and half the stockers for a middle of the road clutch pull? I have heard of people doing that on other quads.

I appreciate the info

Bat

Old 08-27-2002, 02:10 AM
Pro Rider

I think your right about it not happening on re-assembly. I guess I didn't realize that it was the basket shaft. That shaft will usually pop into the clutch if it's not put together properly. Yours is the first one that I've heard of like that. You are correct, you can't avoid those teeth.

I haven't heard of any of my customers trying half the springs, but I've offered that advice befor. I used to set up motorcycles that way when I raced them. Provided you ensure to alternate the springs, it should be fine, but I'm not sure how strong the clutch will hold. It is definately worth trying on a mild motor, if the clutch pull is too stiff for the rider. On a stronger motor, I would not recomend it.

Old 08-27-2002, 07:30 AM
Pro Rider

What have you come up with on the Hydraulic clutch Don? Have you been talking to Magura? I think that anyone that has the Team Pami springs would be all over this.

Old 08-27-2002, 10:51 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the info Knutz. The clutch pull is not too stiff, even my wife rides it sometimes and does fine with it. I just dont know why the shaft would break like that. Maybe it was just weak or something.

Hopefully I can get the parts and get it fixed, but I am not sure what to do on the springs. I might try alternating the springs, would that put less pressure on the shafts??

I just want to avoid having problems in the future. It really sucks to be in the middle of the dunes and have the clutch stick like that.

Thanks
Bat

Old 08-27-2002, 11:36 AM
Range Rover

Bat -

Check your PM. I sent pricing and availability for my local dealer. You have a chance of getting the parts on Friday if you call them before 11:30 eastern time today!

Old 08-27-2002, 11:44 AM
Pro Rider

I got your pm, thanks alot for the help.

I will order them today. Unfortunately, I am leaving thursday for my trip, but I can ride the banshee this trip. At least I can get it back together when I get home.

Thanks again
Paul