CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

dual 40mm lectrons on alky!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2002, 09:51 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in the middle of a complete motor build, and a friend of mine has 4 40mm lectrons set up for alcohol. My thought was setting 2 up for trail riding on gas and the other 2 on alky for raceing and duneing! Ive never heard of dual lectrons on a ds any thoughts? Another thing is these carbs came from fast by gast and there is no choke on them! In fact the place where there is suppost to be a choke isnt even drilled so cold starting might be impossible. Any thoughts would be appreciated, Thanks!

Old 09-06-2002, 01:15 AM
Pro Rider

i think youd be better off running your stock carb and airbox with the lid on.then instead of alky just put a bottle of 104 in each take of gas.but dont run the stuff in the red bottle get the stuff in the black bottle its better.just my .02cents

Old 09-06-2002, 12:18 PM
Pro Rider

QUADLOCO,
Maybe ask DuneDevil...I think he is working on the dual Lectron carb set up
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 09-06-2002, 02:46 PM
Pro Rider

This is the setup that I am working on. I have the carb's but I still don't have them mounted on anything. When I get my motors back, I will definetly let everyone know what power increase is.

First, If you go real big on the motor mods and are running alcohol, your main concern should be not to run out of fuel. I am planning on fuel pumps to keep this in my favor.

The next thing that I see being a problem is the way the throttle cable is run on the lectrons. I am not sure exactly how I am going to run the cable, but it sure does look like it will be a pain.

The peaple at Fast By Gast have really helped me out. When I told them that I wanted to convert the carbs, they sent out the new needle and seat, the new needle, and the new adjustable power jet. So with that being said, I am sure they would be able to send out the stuff to switch the carbs back to gas.

The only other thing that I would ad is that K and N makes a 02 sensor that they have calibrated for alcohol. I would recomend this to everyone that is running alcohol. If you run to lean on alcohol, it will melt the motor down faster then you can blink. If you run to rich, your going to wash out all of the oil in the cylinder, increasing wear on the piston and rings. Also I would use top end lube! Every little bit helps.

I wish I could help out more, but until I get my motor back, this is all I can do.

Derby, you must have quite the HOT Craptor if you run that 104 stuff. I wish our DS's could use that much boost[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

James

Old 09-06-2002, 03:28 PM
Pro Rider

dunedevil,im just trying to help out my ds ridin buddie,lol

Old 09-06-2002, 09:51 PM
Trailblazer

dunedevil, I bought the carbs off of a mini sprint that are allready set up for alcohol and they already have the multi cables all going into one its going to be a piece of cake all i have to do is build the cable from the multi cable deal to the throttle! The only thing i need to figure out is jetting. These carbs came from fast by gast, do you think they could get me at a safe starting point in jetting if i call them. Who do i ask for, I think i heard the guys name was kevin, is that right? Did they tell you you had to run a fuel pump? Also these carbs dont have a choke. Do you think that will be a problem?
Thanks for any help. O and derbyking all your going to have to worry about is eatin dirt budy!LOL

Old 09-10-2002, 08:37 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry that it took so long to get back with you.

On the jetting. If you look at the needle that is in the carb, read what is on it. The needles that they sent me were "18-3 XL". I would start with them screwed all the way in and then after you started it and made sure that it was not lean, then I would unscrew them until the correct mixture was obtained.

If you have not talked with Fast By Gast, then I would call them and request a manual on how to tune the carb. The person that I have been talking to is the only one that is setting up the carbs for the atv's, but I am not sure what his name is, sorry.

On the choke: As long as you have it jetted properly, It should not need the choke. If anything jet it just a little rich for the bottom end. If you plan on running in sub freezing weather, then I would not recommend running alcohol.

Fuel Pump: If you have any big mods(big bore, Huge cams, and nitrous) then you should have a fuel pump and after market fuel cap and a aftermarket petcock that is larger then the stock. If you don't have the big mods, then I would not think that it will need a fuel pump.

Derby, Please give out your secrets to the Yammy guys, I think they will be more thankfull for the hints[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Really,it is all in good fun. I hope you know that I am j/k

James

Old 09-11-2002, 01:15 AM
Pro Rider

dunedevil nobody will listen to me over there,lol.quadloco never listens either.last trip to st.anthonys i kept beating him up thunder,then to make matters worse we switched quads and i beat him with his own equipment lol.then i told him he didnt know how to ride and he acted like he couldnt hear me,mabey he needs hearing aids.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]