CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

HOW FAST

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2000 | 01:18 PM
|
Range Rover

I WAS LOOKING AT A DS THIS MORNING AGAIN AND MY DEALER TOLD ME AN OUTRAGOUS SPEED FOR THE DS WOULD YOU GUYS HELP ME OUT AND TELL ME HOW FAST THEY ARE? AND DO YOU REALLY THINK IT RIDES BETTER THAN A 400EX? THE SUSPENSION SEEMS REALLY STIFF COMPARED TO MY 400 ALTHOUGH IT WASNT ADJUSTED EITHER. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Old 03-24-2000 | 03:02 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Depends on how fast "too outrageous" is. What did the dealer say the speed is?

Roosting..

Old 03-27-2000 | 11:32 AM
Weekend Warrior

I geared my Bomb much higher than stock and my top speed is somewhere in the neighborhood of 88 mph. that is with four teeth less on the rear sprocket.

Old 03-27-2000 | 03:32 PM
Pro Rider

Well, I was told by the dealer and have read in magazine articles that it will do 70mph in stock form. I believe it. I had it in fifth gear and wasn't even topped out RPM wise and was doing at least 60mph. I was having jetting problems and maybe some heat problems, but I was still able to keep up with a stock banshee that got a 50 foot headstart on me and I was edging closer to him before we both backed off. I wiegh about 100 more pounds than the rider of the Banshee also.

As far as stiff suspension, yes it does seem stiff, even for someone my weight(280). When you are going under 30mph or so and drive over ruts in the sand left by other riders, it gets kinda bumpy, but not anymore than other quads. BUT, when you hit those same ruts at 40-70mph, it's smooth as glass. Same goes for getting airborne. Landings are extremely smooth, though it takes more speed to get it airborne in the first place. At a speed that my 350X three wheeler would clear the top of a dune by about 2-3 feet, the Bomber is about a foot off the ground.

The Bomber is Stable, Fast, Sturdy and overall a well manufactured quad that just kicks ***. Everywhere I went this weekend at Moses Lake sand dunes in WA state, people were swarming around to get a look.

I was going to buy the 400EX, but when I sat and stood on it, I could rock it from side to side and get the wheels bouncing off of the ground. It also felt small for me. When the Bomber hit the local dealer for the first time on Jan. 18th, I sat on it and said, "Yea, this is the one!" I was able to test ride it in the parking lot and took it home that night!

If you decide to get one, and you like going to the dunes, get paddles! The Kendas just don't cut it in the sand. With the front end so precise and the back end so loose with horsepower and easily spinning tires, you can have potential problems, though, I have yet to feel like it might tip over. Plus, with the Kendas, you need to be very aware of your speed on your aproach to the dune hills.

Good luck! Either bike would be a good selection. You have to sit on them both and just see which one is more comfortable.

Old 03-31-2000 | 12:12 AM
Weekend Warrior

I just bought a 400 EX from my buddy who upgraded to the DS650. We clocked his stock DS at 76 mph. My stock 400 EX was at 68. I still wouldn't trade him. The DS is so heavy, it's not fun to jump. It almost has too much power for trail riding. The rear end spins out whenever you get after the throttle. It can dig some impressive holes when powerbraked though. If you like wheelies forget about the DS. Way too heavy.

Old 03-31-2000 | 11:39 AM
Trailblazer

Wheelies are quite fun on the DS. Start in second gear (on asphault) and watch the birds go by. Be sure to watch for low flying planes. Check out the wheelie picture on our web site.

Old 04-01-2000 | 02:31 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Why does it seem to me, only people who own Honda's are concerned about doing wheelies, anyhow? Everyone else seems to worry about other stuff.... Seems to me, if an ATV has a lighter front end (IE: easier to do a wheelie with) then wouldn't that lighter front end be more apt to come off the ground when say, climbing a steep hill? Back to the main idea though... What good is the ability to do a wheelie anyhow. If you're racing, or out riding with friends, I can't imagine that being of much use. It's just a topic Hondaphiles always bring up, so it mistifies me.

Old 04-01-2000 | 04:01 AM
Weekend Warrior

the fascination honda riders have with doing wheelies is because it is fun to ride on two wheels for as long as you want. isn't fun what it's all about?and when racing, there are ways to keep the front end on the ground.

Old 04-01-2000 | 12:42 PM
Trailblazer

Wheelies are fun and entirely doable on the DS, it has a balance point that is a little harder to maintain than the EX but is very similar to a '86 or '87 250R. Being able to loft the front end is a big part of my riding style and as far as hill climbing goes I have never had any problem climbing near straight up on any of my honda's, it is all about body english and you have to adapt to the wheeler your on at the time. Anybody that wants to see a EX going near verticle go to the ********* site and check the last few pages of pic's out or let me know and I'll email ya a pic.