CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Front sand tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2002, 06:22 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What do you guys like for fronts in the sand? My ohtus are great with 3-4psi, but I want better. I want to run haulers and vees both, because they both have fun purposes, but I don't want to get two sets of fronts. I want the skat trak mohawks for the front when using the haulers, but I worry if this is too much turning ability for when I run Sand Skate II's.
Anybody with Skates out there that uses front sand tires, please comment.

Old 09-21-2002, 11:47 AM
Pro Rider

I have a set of GBC Dune Tracker "continous rib" front tires. I had those with Sand Skate II's and worked perfect. I am also trying to sale these tires, I dont ride sand enough to need them. PM me. Randy.

Old 09-21-2002, 11:57 AM
Pro Rider

I run Skat-Trak Mohawks and Edges on my Banshee and they work great together. If you run with knobbies up front in the sand, you tend to push through turns rather than track precisely. I much prefer razors or Mohawks for the front. Have fun![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 09-21-2002, 12:51 PM
Pro Rider

My biggest question is whether to go with the continuous rib, or the broken pattern in the front (like the Mohawks)?!

I like the looks of the Mohawks the best, but do they provide enough turning with the torque of our machines?
BTW - I run the 10 paddle Skat-Trak Edges.

"TOID"

Old 09-21-2002, 03:23 PM
Pro Rider

In my experience, the difference has been negligible. Both kinds work very well in the sand.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 09-21-2002, 03:36 PM
Pro Rider

Here's my take on front tires.

I have the 21x7x10 Mohawks on my Raptor with Extreme Haulers, My 250R had the 22x8x10 dune trackers with regular Haulers.
The mohawks are a better tire IMO because, the dune trackers tend to float more than the Mohawks & will skip over the sand (even the 21x8x10's) You need the fronts to dig in a bit to get a bite with the Extreme Haulers. You'll have to change your riding style a bit when changing between the Edges & Extremes. you can't give much throttle while turning with Haulers, That lets the Mohawks dig in deeper & get a good bite, With the Edges you can get on the gas harder & that will keep just the rib of the Mohawks in the sand for turning.
So with the change in turning styles the Mohawk should work well with the Edges & Haulers.

If they proved too much for the Edges you could always run the stockers.

Old 09-22-2002, 11:08 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I know the mohawks will work well with haulers, even though the solid rib may work better, but I'm worried about too much steering ability for when putting on the skates. The DS's have sensitive steering as is, due to the lack in caster in front end geometry, and this was cause for my biggest concern. I like Moose's logic - I think I'll go with mohawks.

Hoover - no thanks on the fronts, but are the Skate II's for sale?

Old 09-23-2002, 12:56 AM
Pro Rider

go with the mohawks
Tate

Old 09-23-2002, 04:38 PM
Elite Pro Rider

i have the mohawks with 9 paddle haulers, they work great
my brother put mohawks with geckos, and seem to be great
my wife has geckos with stock and the mohawks are a lot better
the raptor that we ride with have the set your asking about and they love it. only concern i have with mohawks they seem to throw a little sand on the rider in wet sand.

Old 09-24-2002, 11:06 AM
Pro Rider

SandMan, I never thought about them throwing moist sand, I can see that happening some. We just recently rode IN THE RAIN at the dunes, and I'm running the stock Raptor radials in the front.... I got covered! Which I'm sure with the rest of the Mohawk being bald, it would be minimal compared to the stockers.

Thanks for the tid-bit.

I guess you wouldn't have too much trouble with that huh Hightower?? The DS kinda eliminates all that from happening!

"TOID"

Quick Reply: Front sand tires