CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Airplane fuel in a ds is it possible?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2002 | 10:33 AM
|
Pro Rider

A friend of mine was telling me how he used airplane fuel in his dads truck and it ran a lot better and faster. He told me it would work with my DS too but I am not sure if he knows what he is talking about. If I did use airplane fuel would it hurt my engine? And has anyone tried it? Is it like regualr gas with a higher octane or is it like methanol? Thanks in advance.

Old 09-24-2002 | 12:14 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!

Yes you can run AVgas in a ds i ran jp4 in one of mine and had good results.there was no soot in my exhaust pipe and she started faster as for power no real difference just a cleanerer running quad!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 09-24-2002 | 01:07 PM
Pro Rider

While up at sand mtn. labor day my friend steve there with the sandrail had 20 gallons of av gas. Before he left he gave me 5 gallons of it to try and i ran it in my DS without any problems. Seemed to run smoother and i am sure it ran cooler due to the higher octane. Sean

Old 09-24-2002 | 02:46 PM
Pro Rider

...attn plz! AZSAND...pardner, JP-4 will not work in a DS...JP-4 is aviation fuel but is more like diesel or kerosene not gasoline...av-gas is an unleaded gas with average octane of 106. Very few places use JP-4...only cold climate locations like Alaska and Greenland use it because it is so volitile (low ignition point)and will not gel like JP-8...just a little friendly info hopefully taken that way...

Old 09-24-2002 | 03:01 PM
Pro Rider

JP4 is kerosen and if you put it in your quad you will be pumping it out it will not work.
Avgas is 100ll 100 octain low lead, it will work in you quad but you would be wasting your money, if you do not have detonation b/c the higher the octain the lower the energy a fule has. So if you do not raise your compression and advance the timing to take advantage of the restance to detonation you will loose hp and gas mialage. If you have detonation it would be a good choice b/c the lead is also a lubricant and will help your quad run cooler.

If your friend ran it in his truck he will soon be replacing his catolitic converter b/c it will plug it.

I have heard of unleaded avgas but never seen it, remember aviation motors are old tech (non-hardened vlaves)and air cooled they need the lead to protect the valves, when you buy it it will be labled 100LL (the LL is for low lead)and will have a light blue color to it, the color is there so that you can recognize you have the correct fule during your per-flight check.

Old 09-24-2002 | 04:46 PM
Trailblazer

If you are going to run 100LL (AV-Gas) I would add a lubricant to it. The fuel is very dry.
It is also will shorten the life of the valve seals.

Old 09-24-2002 | 05:18 PM
Pro Rider
It's official, I've been duning for over 30 years.

I tried av gas once and didn't notice any difference but white soot in the exhaust tip. Someone told me that it also burns slightly slower, so in fact it may actually hurt your performance.

Old 09-24-2002 | 09:14 PM
Pro Rider

snakhunter lead is a lubricant and it will let you run cooler, and yes it burns slower and you will loose hp unless you raise comp and advance timing. It is the same with any gasoline w/ a higher octain. In an air plain there are no stedialite coatings on the valves or seats as in a car and a dirt bike (these were started when unleaded fules came out) w/o out lead to lub and cool them you need this coating. Also remember aircraft engins are air cooled and fly at hight altitudes where air is thin so something in needed for cooling. In fact if you decend to fast you can stress crack your motor that is how hot they get up high.

Old 09-24-2002 | 09:36 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!

I DON'T THE DIFFERENCE i have a friend that is a pilot and i have a card to get in the air port to get fuel and all three of the pumps say avgas american fueling systems and then each pump has a octane reading and yes one is unleaded
but other than this info i don't know any thing else about it.and no jiminik you did not offend me at all i can't know every thing and guess what i now know something else!!! later

Old 09-24-2002 | 09:41 PM
Pro Rider

Like I said I had heard of the unleaded stuf but I have never seen it. I am a pilot but I lost my medical so I have been efectivly grounded. It would be like letting you look at quads all the time but you could never ride. What fu!k up fun that is.

Quick Reply: Airplane fuel in a ds is it possible?