CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Any good GPS deals and waht type???????

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2002, 03:22 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any good GPS deals and waht type???????

After getting lost in Glamis last weekend it's time to invest in a GPS. Never make it to Olds hill from gecko rd. pod 2, but spent 4 hours trying the high winds didn't help, but did make for heaven like riding. Felt like I was driving on clouds got difficult at time to tell the difference between ground and flying sand but the new whip with a 35 watt bulb was great.

Old 11-13-2002, 07:20 PM
Pro Rider

If you just want a basic GPS I think the Garmin eTrex for $100 would fit the bill. It doesn't have anything fancy like mapping, barametric altimiters, etc but you can load in waypoints, mark your track where you went, etc...

Old 11-14-2002, 12:24 AM
Trailblazer

A new one is the Garmin Rhino, it has a two way radio, only a two mile range though. Also has what they call peer to peer which pin pionts you to another rhino user, plus waas. which make it more accurate. Its about $170.00 for the basic one. Anyone not using a GPS at Glamis is rolling the dice big time day or night, it could save your life, or somone elses.

Old 11-14-2002, 01:53 AM
Pro Rider

Hey musthaven do you ever see the posts your other L.A. brothers put up about riding in Glamis and Dumont? We go almost every other weekend and i haven't heard from you once. It's really a shame all of us L.A. guys can't hook up sometime and get a good weekend in. It is so hard to find people to ride with here that have other DS'S. Watch for the posts on here about the Glamis, Dumont trips. Anyway get the Garmn Etrex Vista that is what I have and ou can pick it up for about $230.00 I think or maybe even cheaper. IT sure came in handy for us last weekend I can tell you that much! As Bombastic about that. Anyway keep in touch. Oh, Also, get hte Ram mount setup for your quad the stock handlebar setup they send to you sucks!

Old 11-14-2002, 03:08 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

AngryBajaBoy,

you mention riding with other LA area DS riders... I've NEVER rode with another DS yet! I'm sure that will change soon enough.

Did you get the DC adapter for your GPS to use with the RAM mount? My GPS had some trouble with the batteries getting scrortched from hundreds of tiny sparks (due to the bouncing) then it started powering itself off. I installed a 12v outlet on my ATV so that I can plug in the 12v plug for my GPS12 but I have yet to buy the dc adapter, doh!

Old 11-14-2002, 01:35 PM
Range Rover

Hey Angry,
Look forward to meeting up soon. I do see the post, it looked like you would arrive in Glamis last Saturday as I was leaving. I was there Thursday thru Sat 10:30 am. When you all went to sand mountain for Labor Day weekend I was at Dumont. I will be back a Glamis for Turkey day. We are liking pod 2 on Gecko rd. Where are you calling home there. Where can I find that Ram mount Did the winds die down sat night. I have never been in worst wind driving back Saturday between Glamis and palm Springs then rain after PS. It sure was great talking to friends in L.A. Friday Complaining about cold and rain there, as I was enjoying 82 deg and sun at what is the Happiest place on earth not that place with the rat or is it a big mouse, what ever.

Rob

Old 11-15-2002, 12:48 AM
Pro Rider

Life just gets easier all the time doesn't it?.
What did people do without GPS way back in the old days?
Hmmmm...... ya know...Maybe thats where the smaller dunes came from [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 11-15-2002, 01:20 AM
Pro Rider

I do have the DC adapter but I haven't hooked it up yet. The Ram mount seems to not vibrate as much. We are liking the Wash, Gecko sucks unless you can get there on a Thursday or early Friday morning. Not sure about Turkey day yet. Yeah the winds died down quite a bit. Sunday was AWESOME!!! Perfect conditions. We are going to Dumont next weekend if any of you are interested.