CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Help, float bowl leaking..

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2002, 09:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help, float bowl leaking..

I put in the new carb and checked the floats before I put it in and they moved just fine.. However I keep getting gas comming out of my drain nipple. I looked at my old float bowl from the original carb and there is a copper shat with a pin hole at the top. My guess is the gas is getting to high in the float and comming out? or does it happen from boucing arround and theres nothing to worry about??? PS, I need to re attach my tube to the bottom..

Old 12-10-2002, 09:55 PM
Pro Rider

Either your float level is set incorrectly, or your float valve is stuck open.

-Tom

Old 12-10-2002, 10:00 PM
Pro Rider

how do I adjust or fix it??
Driain it, then what?

Old 12-10-2002, 11:31 PM
Pro Rider

There is a screw adjacent to the drain nipple that may be loose...when you loosen that screw it allows you to drain the bowl. The screw has an unthreaded tit that blocks off the drains orifice when tightened. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] I know it kinda sounded like a "dirty" post, but really...that's what I call those things...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

You can check your float bowl fuel level by attaching a length (10 or 12")of clear tube to that nipple and turning it up and holding it up next to your carb...where ever the fuel is in the tube is where it is in your carb...learned that nifty trick in here!

Old 12-11-2002, 01:46 AM
Pro Rider

Ok, I pulled off my float bowl and manually checked the floats and the operated correctly. While the cover was off I held the floats and turned on the gas, i slowley lowered the floats and gas started to flow and I raised them and the gas stopped.I measured it with my other carb and both allow/disallow fule at the same point. So I left my drain screw open and turned on the gas when it was flowing good I shut the screw and it seems to be ok now.. I looked and ther is no way other then bending the float tin to adjust the fule level. They might make a longer seat but who knows.. I will test it to see if what I did is working.

Old 05-30-2003, 05:01 PM
Pro Rider

Do you measure the float level when the float is hanging down?!? Or when the float is in it's up-most position?!?!

I get 30mm when the carb is sitting upright and 16-18mm when the carb is sideways and the float is tilted upwards?!?

HELP ASAP please

Thanks

Old 05-30-2003, 06:38 PM
Pro Rider

what is going going on?
Is yours leaking??
If it it I would just bend the little lip on the flat the pushed the needle seat up a small amount then put the clear tube on drain tube and hold it next to the carb and turn the gas on. You can see what the level is... I kept mine just below the bowl top and it was always fine..
PS< I dont use that carb any more [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-30-2003, 06:58 PM
Pro Rider

My float bowl drain used to leak all the dang time, I finally just got really sick of it and pulled everything out and just plugged it with JBweld. problem solved LMAO.

Old 05-30-2003, 07:02 PM
Pro Rider

Actually, I did a test to see if the floats were the problem or if I had a bad O-Ring.

I took off the bowl(drained it, blah blah). So, I held the float all the way up(needle valve closed) and I turned on the gas at the petcock. Fuel trickled happily out of the valve anyway. Grrr. So I took out the needle valve, and the rubber O-Ring has a horizontal tear in it (about 1.5mm long). So I'm pretty confident (and hoping), that it is my problem after all. Going to an auto-parts store tomorrow morning when they open and I'm going to buy a new one, grease it up and jam it in. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Hopefully my local autoparts store will have some (NAPA).

Say a prayer for me, will ya?

Hehe Thanks

Jeff

Old 05-30-2003, 07:41 PM
Pro Rider

Prayer complete
Amen