CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

lowering a DS650 for Ice Racing

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2003, 01:14 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lowering a DS650 for Ice Racing

Anyone know if there is a lowering kit available for the front and rear for the DS650?

Old 01-06-2003, 01:22 PM
Pro Rider

You are going to have to make your own. You can get shorter shocks for the front and take out the short spring on the rear shock.

Old 01-06-2003, 06:16 PM
Pro Rider

I had mine about 5 in. off the ground, it sucked. No weight transfer and the steering geometry is real goofy and super twitchy at higher speeds. I tried putting more spring in the rear , and that didn't work. Finally I put it back to stock and it just rails. I've got 200 studs in the stock dominators and have not lost one yet ! Try it at the stock height before you try to slam it down . Its just like riding the late 90's skidoo snowmobiles when the inside ski lifts push it harder and it will hold the line .

Old 01-06-2003, 06:18 PM
Pro Rider

sorryt i meant 2000 studs the black kold kutters they are called

Old 01-06-2003, 06:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

i have chen shins on the front and bear claws on the back it with 600 studs in the fron and 500 in the back, need more on the back end. I have a problem with the inside rear tire lifting any ideas?

Old 01-06-2003, 07:16 PM
Pro Rider

are you running a sway bar? dura-blue sells one that works good. without a good sway bar forget it!! last year i ran a set of banshee shocks front and rear lowered the front end so the a-arms were flat across ( no angle) problem is when you lower the rear the chain roller gets ground up in a hurry, i did handle ok but was so tite that it would wash out in the tite TT track. so this year i just loosened the rear shock up so it did'nt sag with me on it, to the point just befor the chain roller started getting torn up, on the front i put on my stock shocks loosened up all the way, then to lower it i hooked hold down straps from the top shock bracket to the lower a arm and sucked it down to about the same height as the rear with me on it, last but not least put on an handle bar end (curved handle) left side so you can hange off the left side , way off ( 90% of the turns are left) this makes alot of difference.i run kenda dominators front and ching somthings ice tire rear with 1500 total screws. where do you race?

Old 01-06-2003, 07:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks, I am just getting going on the racing. We race in Alberta, Canada. I can see how the hook on the left side would work real well. I will definitely look into the sway bar and the ice racing tires for the rear. what bars do you run? stock? I can see how using the straps would help eliminate the rear wheel lift that I am getting as well. Did you take your small pring out of the rear shock or just run it soft?

Old 01-06-2003, 08:52 PM
Pro Rider

i have tag bars, but the stock bars work good, plus the bar ends fit the larger bars better, my rear spring is a tcs set-up but yes you can just loosen you'r stock spring just as well, just beware of you'r chain idler to low and it will burn up instantly!!

Old 01-06-2003, 09:06 PM
Pro Rider

for the rear tire lift shift your weight to the back of the machine more . the washing out was the same problem I had try the stock height before you slam it and use body english to controll the lift . You definately need more studs 2000 is real good . Last sunday I draged 5 sleds for 1000 ft and lost of course but I did smoke 2 of them out of the hole and up to about 300 ft. I would get one of those cdi boxes to get rid of the rev limiter , thats my downfall right now I keep bouncing off the limiter and lose power for a second or two .

Old 01-06-2003, 09:34 PM
Pro Rider

just up the lake from us they were having snowmobile radar runs 1000' so we went up to check it out, i paid $5 to run mine. now remember i was geared for ice racing not 1/4 mile action and traction is still limited with screws for studs but i ran 76.3 mph, my friend mike has a shee built strong and he ran a 66mph. this past summer we were running almost 70 in 300' in the dirt but it was still fun!!

Quick Reply: lowering a DS650 for Ice Racing