CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

DS Owners....INFORMATION PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2003, 04:35 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DS Owners....INFORMATION PLEASE

I am currently riding a Yamaha Banshee with several mods that I really like. I am considering adding a 2nd quad to my garage and am looking at the DS. I wonder if any of you could tell me some general information. How much power does the ds have, how does it respond to mods? Is it a reliable machine? How fast will your ds go?

I really love my Banshee and love the power it produces......I hear about other quads that are faster than my shee but have never ridden one. I am looking to simply set my banshee up for sand only riding and want something else with gobs of power to ride out in the desert. Since I have a screaming 2 stroke I am looking at four strokes only for my 2nd quad. I am 6' 2" tall and tend to be big for most quads. The size of the ds really intreagues me.....but I don't want a heavy machine that is underpowered. I can live with the weight if the power is there. Any help or suggestions would be great.

Thanks!!!

Old 01-29-2003, 05:26 PM
Pro Rider

Well, i can tell you one thing, underpowered, you will NOT be

Old 01-29-2003, 07:14 PM
Pro Rider

I have both, and I bought the banshee last. I was looking for that banshee hit in a 4 stroke and just could not find it.

However, the raptor is for sale and I am keeping the bomb. They are a very good quad and very fun to ride, not quite as fun as the shee however.

I have most of the bolt ons, no internal motor work and the baja runs very well. But my banshee with most the bolt ons for it also will tear it up in hillshooting.

They are very reliable, very strong and fast. I ride pretty much only in the sand, and of course the shee is it in the sand.

Anyway, I think the bomb is probably the best built and fastest 4 stroke built today. So, it is a great addition to your quad family.

bat

Old 01-30-2003, 12:00 AM
BR
Trailblazer

Under powered??? no way, go to the Bombardier web site, pull up DS650 look at the compairson chart, as you will see it blows the others away, I have a 2002 DS it is a well built machine. Had a LT-500 1987
built to the hilt it was lots of fun but got tired of the rebuilds. Cant compare 4 strokes to 2 strokes, 2 strokes have that hit but it will also hit your wallet.

Old 01-30-2003, 12:25 AM
Elite Pro Rider

you will be able to suprize lots of shees with the ds, but with some simple mods it will get more attention. they are very reliable. and the ride is nice.

Old 01-30-2003, 01:14 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I see that you live in Reno so, I assume you go to Sand Mt. most of the time.

Stock - the Bomb isn't in the same field as the Shee is with pipes (I know this is an unfair comparison but, I am sure you have pipes on your Shee so, you are used to that kind of power.)

The DS with a pipe, K&N, High Compression Piston and cams will take a Shee with pipes up Comp hill at Sand Mt., NV

I too am 6'2" and I can ride the DS all day and night. My buddy (the one with the piped Shee) always wants to trade quads.

We will be up there the 14-16 of Feb and March if you want to run the hill to see what kind of power the DS has, I am always looking for some 2-stroke to beat up on. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-30-2003, 02:24 AM
Range Rover

I bought a 02 ds650 baja and absolutely love it. So does everyone who rides it. It will not beat most banshees in an uphill race because gravity on a 500 lb. quad is radical. But the stability and overall power coupled with the 12" of suspension is like riding a couch. Especially once you do the pipe and carb mods to it.

Old 01-30-2003, 02:27 AM
Range Rover

60 lbs!!! what did they do with it?