CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

RWR CDI is in (:

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2003 | 02:20 AM
|
Pro Rider
Default RWR CDI is in (:

Dose that make the difference or what. I also put on Holeshot XTC 22x11x9's on from the stock kendas and now it feels like a whole new bike.
Now I know why every one in here suggest it!!!
That stock rev. box sucks A**.

Old 02-13-2003 | 01:25 AM
Range Rover
Default RWR CDI is in (:

so have you installed the cdi? did you notice a difference?

Old 02-13-2003 | 01:46 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default RWR CDI is in (:

BlastnBaja,

I have a feeling the CDI makes a tremendous difference. I plan to get one as my first or second mod. to my Baja. I wish I had got one for my 2001 but never did bother. Every post I've read where someone got a new CDI it made a lot of difference.

Old 02-13-2003 | 02:14 AM
Range Rover
Default RWR CDI is in (:

blawkhawk i hear the sme thing and it'll probably be my next mod, but i hear the plugs they make th ecdi box doesn't fit the plug on the baja. do you know anything about this.

Old 02-13-2003 | 02:23 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default RWR CDI is in (:

blastnbaja,

You are right, and this is one of the reasons I haven't bought a CDI yet. I personally don't want to hack my $7000 ATV at this point. If I had the time, I'd like to find a company who will sell me a couple of the same connectors that Bombardier uses for the CDIs and then make a small adapter so I can just plug that in between the CDI & ATV. I suppose the first thing is to take a couple of pictures of the plug, then take them to an auto parts shop or try to find a website where someone sells electrical connectors and go from there.

Old 02-13-2003 | 01:49 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default RWR CDI is in (:

In the Box there was a letter stating that the Baja needed to be changed so the connection would fit.
I though that it was the carb was giving me problems after I jetted it so every time I revved it at the top end it would sputter and pop. Well that was the rev limiter kicking in and shutting me down. I don't have a Tachometer but I think that I am trying to change gears around 8200 RPM's and the stock CDI limits you at 7700 RPM's for the standard DS650.
Now that the RWR CDI is in all those problems are gone.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
I would recommend the RWR CDI to any one who has a DS650.
As for the Baja I think the rev limiter is set a little higher than 7700. I am not sure though.

Old 02-13-2003 | 02:03 PM
Pro Rider
Default RWR CDI is in (:

If you do a search, you can find lots of posts about connecting it to the baja. I spent a few hours running around town trying to find a connector. No one had anything like it. I went to several electrical supply houses and they had nothing either.

You dont have to hack up your quad, what I did is this.

I removed the pins from the connector on the baja wiring harness, I first wrote down what wire went to what spot. Anyway, with a very small screwdriver you can remove the wires, you dont have to cut anything. Then, remove the wires from the rwr cdi. Again, you dont have to cut anything.

You will then see that the metal pins on the ends of the wires will slide together. There is nothing to hold them together, but they fit very nicely together. I put the wires together, then heat shrinked them together, then wrapped each one with electrical tape, then wrapped the whole mess with electrical tape. Mine has been like that for over a year with never a problem.

Do a search and you can find the wiring color codes.

Bat

Old 02-13-2003 | 06:50 PM
Pro Rider
Default RWR CDI is in (:

It seems like RWR would just make the darn thing so you can take off the factory cdi and put the rwr one in. Why must we go through that hacking crap when you pay so much for it?
Everyone is talking about the baja, what about for the standard viper red ds? I think the baja and standard ds's have the same cdi though.

Old 02-13-2003 | 07:18 PM
Pro Rider
Default RWR CDI is in (:

the baja has a different cdi, at least it did when I got mine.

The rwr cdi is made to plug directly in on the regular standard ds. I dont know if bomb went to the baja style cdi on the standard ds for 2003.

bat

Old 02-13-2003 | 07:19 PM
Pro Rider
Default RWR CDI is in (:

Oh, and I dont consider it hacking it up. I can have it back to the stock cdi in about a half hour. And it would be using the factory connectors. Most of that time would be spent removing the electrical tape.

Bat