CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

What should the piston surface look like?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2003, 11:17 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What should the piston surface look like?

Doh! My fingers cant keep up with my brain. Spray water into the carb throat. I know it sounds like a bad thing, but its not. Its used in applications such as turbos and superchargers and known as "water injection". The reason they do it is too keep the intake charge cool and prevent detonation. The only reason I would do it is to clean the combustion chamber and piston.

Old 02-21-2003, 11:19 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have seen and used "GM Top End Cleaner". Take out the plugs, spray some in the cylinder and let it set over night. With the plugs out, crank teh endinge so most of the cleaner blowns out. ou dont want to hydro lock the motor. Install the plugs, start and run the b@lls off it. Then it is recommended to change the oil. Clean as a whistle and good ans new.

Old 02-21-2003, 11:34 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 02BAJA
I have seen and used "GM Top End Cleaner". Take out the plugs, spray some in the cylinder and let it set over night. With the plugs out, crank teh endinge so most of the cleaner blowns out. ou dont want to hydro lock the motor. Install the plugs, start and run the b@lls off it. Then it is recommended to change the oil. Clean as a whistle and good ans new.
You would have to really make an effort to hydro lock a motor with a squirt bottle. An engine idleing @1000k rpm turns at 16.6 cycles per second of which 8.3 include an intake stroke. I dont think you can squirt 50 some cc's every eight of a second. Just use discretion and you will be fine.

Old 02-21-2003, 12:43 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

How in the heck does water clean your piston??? It took me 10 minutes of hard scrubing(with gas) to get the carbon off of my piston.

And I remember when I was a kid my dad pouring some transmission fliuld into the carb while the car was running, and the car would put out some god aweful white smoke(jus for a minute), but he said it was good for the valves or something like that(I can't remember, but I remember that WHITE smoke!! I thought that was cool) .LOL

Biggerisbetter.

Old 02-21-2003, 01:54 PM
Pro Rider

From what I remember when the tiny water droplets hit the piston and combustion chamber, they instantly cool the carbon deposits down and it flakes off.

Old 02-21-2003, 03:22 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Rockey
Originally posted by: 02BAJA
You would have to really make an effort to hydro lock a motor with a squirt bottle. An engine idleing @1000k rpm turns at 16.6 cycles per second of which 8.3 include an intake stroke. I dont think you can squirt 50 some cc's every eight of a second. Just use discretion and you will be fine.

Its an aerosol can. I was just making sure everyone was cautious. I didnt want to get blamed for ruining someones engine!

Old 02-21-2003, 07:53 PM
Pro Rider

ATF makes a great deturgent in automotive engines both in the oil and when poured in the carb. Water works very well too but you better run the RPMs up before you use either one. If you don't the engine will die instantly and could be very hard to restart. More so with ATF. 3000rpm aught to do it and add slow enough not to kill it. My .02

Old 02-23-2003, 12:04 AM
Pro Rider

Be careful if you're using an Automotive top end cleaner. I use this all the time in my auto class and if you look on the bottles it specifically says not to run the engnine over 1,500 RPM for a period of time or else you will overheat the exhaust system. Most likely the catylitic convertor. I fried a set of belts on a SHO Taurus doing this not good. But with an ATV I'd follow the same directions. except I'd just dump it in the intake so it will clean off the valve seats as well. The stuff works wonders. Another fuel additive that I run in everything I own is Sea Foam. It's available at your local carquest, auto value etc... This stuff does wonders for anything and everything. All you do is mix it with your gas.