CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Gas Mileage; V10

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2003, 07:47 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas Mileage; V10

I need to bump up my gas mileage while towing. Anyone have any tips or pros\cons of products they used. I'm about to purchase a K&N Fuel injection enhancement kit. They claim it increases HP and Fuel econcomy, it's going for $250.00. Is it worth it, anyone tried it?

Old 02-21-2003, 07:51 PM
Range Rover
Default Gas Mileage; V10

we were camping with a guy who had a brand new F350 turbo binks V-10. he claims that from phoenix to gordon's well he used a quarter tank. what gas mileage are you getting? I can't even get that kind of mileage on my maxima.

Old 02-21-2003, 07:54 PM
Pro Rider
Default Gas Mileage; V10

I only used a 1\4 tank too......................................On my Third tank....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

I got about 6, but I was going anywhere from 65-85. Next time out I'll just stay steady at 65 and see how I do

Old 02-21-2003, 07:55 PM
Trailblazer
Default Gas Mileage; V10

I have a JET stage 2 chip in my dodge durango that made a slight difference in mpg. I noticed around
a .4 increase, a increase worth its money but still am not getting good gas figures, average
12.1 with 360 V8![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

If your desperate its worth it!

Old 02-21-2003, 08:01 PM
Trailblazer
Default Gas Mileage; V10

If he got from Phoenix to Gordon's Well on 1/4 tank, he must have put a 100 gallon tank on his truck. My V-10 F250 gets 10mpg while pulling a trailer ,with the cruise control set at 80mph, I burn 21 gallons going from my driveway in North Phoenix to Gordon's Well. The stock fuel capacity on a gas engined Superduty is 30 gallons, so that's 2/3 of a tank for that trip. If he's still got the stock fuel tank, and burns 1/4 tank to go approximately 200 miles, he's claiming to get 26.6 mpg! A V-10 powered Superduty won't get that kind of fuel mileage falling down a cliff, let alone pulling a trailer. I'm calling Bull**** on this one!

Old 02-21-2003, 08:25 PM
Pro Rider
Default Gas Mileage; V10

With my V10, pulling my 28' desert fox toy box, I would get about 5-6 mpg. I have to pull through some mountain ranges, and the wind is almost always a head wind.

I switched to a 7.3 diesel and got 9.2 average pulling to fsw. That is through alot of mtns, also a lot of 2 lane after vegas.

The kicker with the diesel is I can now pull grades at 10-15mph more then with the V10. I used to drop down to 40-45 through the sisters around evanston wyoming, now can still be doing 58-60 at the top.

My mileage suffers because I drive at 75-80 almost all the time. I understand I could gain about 2-3 mpg if I could make myself drive 65, but dang that seems so slow.

If I had kept the v10 I was going to supercharge it, but then the mileage would have probably been worse.

Bat

Old 02-21-2003, 08:36 PM
Pro Rider
Default Gas Mileage; V10

kmduner can you really drive 65 when the speed limit is 75, especially on your way TO the dunes? I've tried it, it only lasted for about two minutes.

Old 02-21-2003, 09:19 PM
Pro Rider
Default Gas Mileage; V10

The K&N kit is a super choice. I am not all sure what is in that kit your looking at but I am sure it is well worth it. One cheap trick i found out is to take the whole intake system off and wrap the outside with refeltive heat tape(like the kind on heat ducts) then reinstall. This keeps the air entering the motor cooler. Cooler air = more HP. I felt more gain by doing this then the filter itself. the next thing I did was I did a jet chip in it. I found this to vastly improve my MPG and the extra HP was awesome. The next step is to put a better exaust on it, like the gibson or borla stainless. I say stainless because i beleive if your going to do something do it right the first time LOL. These are throaty but not loud. Then you can add a supercharger which will increase (Bat) your MPG. the secret is the truck is producing more HP so it takes less throttle to achaive the same performance. The bad thing is with the power on tap..........can you really keep yourself from stomping on it? I cant LOL. A few other things you can do is run all sythetic oils throughout the truck. Add 5 LBS of air to each tire. When running just the truck, put down your tailgate(make a huge difference). Drive slower. Umm thats all I can think of. hope this helps

Then the next step is to move into the New 6.0 powerstroke!! If anyone needs a new Ford, PM me. I guarentee you noone will beat my prices!!

Old 02-21-2003, 09:59 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!
Default Gas Mileage; V10

Quit your whinning you all are doing better than me it takes a full tank for me to go to gordon wells if i don't fuel in yuma i don't make it back to yuma !!! but ive made it home from sand mt nv to phx in 10 hrs flat[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Can you say no officer i did not notice i was going 90+. No officer i did not know it was unsafe to pull a 31' fithwheel that fast ! And yes officer i do consider myself an idiot And yes officer i would like to take this oppertunity to pull my head out of my A$$ [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img] whoa i kinda got lost there what i was just trying to say is it sounds like your trucks getting decent milege to me km[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] And do i see modes coming for the truck i would not want to be at your house while you try to explain this one to the wife !!

And talk to me demon homie needs a new pair of shoes!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-21-2003, 11:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gas Mileage; V10

ive got the V10, but my trucks got 12" lift and tires, when i pull my quads to the dunes in the cargo trailer i get about 5.5 mpg, at 85mph of course, id rather pay to get their quicker, On the other hand i have been forced to drive 55-60 range for a stretch due to road conditions and the gas milage is way better at that speed was gettin more like 9mpg, if i drive 55-60 with no trailer i can get 10mpg, about 7.5 just city driving, Wouldnt trade it for anything.
Jetjock16

Quick Reply: Gas Mileage; V10