CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

SILVER LAKE

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2003, 08:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SILVER LAKE

I am planning a trip to silver lake this summer,late summer, it's a long way from where i live i want to know if i need a special permit or something to go ride theyre since i live in canada i don't wanna go down there for nothing the rules are not the same what do i need to do if i go is there something i need like insurance or something else,i hope you guys can help me out,i really want to go but i don't know what to get ready for,hope you guys know what i mean,thanks for any advice you can provide me an my friends whit....

Old 02-26-2003, 09:42 PM
Pro Rider
Default SILVER LAKE

What the f*ck no one lives there??????

Old 02-26-2003, 10:03 PM
Pro Rider
Default SILVER LAKE

i was also thinking about heading up in the summer too, and was wondering the same thing?

Old 02-27-2003, 01:29 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default SILVER LAKE

Silver Lake is managed by the Michigan DNR, so on top of the daily dune fee of like $6, you also have to buy a DNR sticker for like another $10 or so. These are available right there at the dunes. The DNR sticker is good for a year, you have to have it displayed on the bike. We never had to show any identification or anything, so they apparently don't care what country you're from. Hell, I guess they don't even care if the bike is stolen! As long as they get their money!
Decibal law is 94dB @ 4,000rpm, +/- 4dB on their meter. This means that as long as their meter doesn't read more than 98dB @ 4,000 you're cool, and most pipes will pass that easy. Spark arrestor required - either a screen or a disk system, and they check now by trying to stick a stick in the end of your pipe - if the stick goes, you can't!
Do a search for Silver Lake sand dunes - you'll come up with several sites with rules. Plenty of camping, cabins around - we stay at Silver Hills Resort - they have a lodge with pool, cabins, and plenty of tent and RV sites, reasonable prices hard to beat, they have a site too, again just search.

i go twice a year - maybe I can hook up with you guys. We're going in April, then heading west to Utah and Idaho in June, but I can probably swing a MI trip late summer too!

Old 02-27-2003, 02:38 AM
Pro Rider
Default SILVER LAKE

get on bansheeHQ.com or planetsand.com you will find alot of rider out that way.

Old 02-27-2003, 11:29 AM
Trailblazer
Default SILVER LAKE

When are you going? You also need a flag, I think its 8'. They sell everything there so if you meet the stupid sparky and decibal test you'll be alright. I have two trips planned as well. One in April, the 25-27 and one in June, the 18-22. We have two camp sites on the lake. You won't miss our site, that is all I can say!

Old 02-27-2003, 12:13 PM
Range Rover
Default SILVER LAKE

i just moved from silver lake five years ago but still only live one hour away. all you need is a flag (8 foot) and a day pass for each thing you drive in to the parking lot.(so if you have a truck with your quad in back its 6 bucks for each of them) and orv stickers on anything your going to drive in to the dunes. if you have a michigan state park sticker you dont have to buy day passes but if your only going to be there a couple days it would not be worth buying them (22 a each i think). they very veyr seldom check db's or spark aresters.

Old 02-27-2003, 01:16 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default SILVER LAKE

Bigpink - camping on the lake? Where at, I never knew you could. Are you talking Lake MI, or Silver Lake? Can you ride from the dunes to camp on your quad? We have always had to load and unload twice a day - sounds like you got the perfect answer here - let me know man, thanks!

Old 02-27-2003, 02:16 PM
Trailblazer
Default SILVER LAKE

Sorry man you can't ride from camp to the lake. They just tease you and let you see the dunes from your campsite!
The campground is on silverlake on the other side of the dunes. But its only a short drive to the park. I have often thought about riding right to the park, but my friends have talked me out of it. I guess that is probably a good thing!

Old 02-27-2003, 05:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SILVER LAKE

Weekends are pretty busy, if you are there on a weekend, you have to get a PARKING lot voucher AND a DUNE voucher.. we went there with dune vouchers only, and not parking lot vouchers They would'nt let us in the parking lot....we had to buy an ORV permit and Flag for the Explorer and find a place to park the trailer, and tow the quads in 1 at a time, hours later we were riding.