CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Recipe to smoke a Cannondale???

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2003, 10:02 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recipe to smoke a Cannondale???

I've yet to run anything with my 01 DS650(just bought it a month ago and the weather has been bad since!), but i was wondering what mods i would need to ensure my ds will outrun a stk Cannondale? I hear they are pretty fast, and i know rider skill plays a HUGE part in the race(i've raced MANY stretched Hayabusa's, GSXR1000's, and ZX-12's and out 60'ed them on a STK SWINGARMED Hayabusa. Rider made the difference). My Bro-n-law has a race with a friends son who owns a Cannondale(dunno which kind) and they always brag about spanking this and that. I know the kid will have a big advantage with weight alone(kid prolly weighs 150, Bro-n-law around 215). My Bro-n-law is'nt super aggressive out of the whole, but rides well from there. The Cannondale is stk, my DS will have a MBRP race system, a bored(44mm) stk carb, clamp-on airfilter, and hopefully some type of aftermarket cdi. Is there anything else that i should get to help the heavy DS(and heavy Bro-n-law!)? The Kenda's are gonna have to go, what should i replace with? Razors(22"), or Holeshots(22")? Gearing is stk right now(16/40?). I know if i go to 22" tires, i'll need to change the gearing(15/40?), do you think i'll need to go up in the back as well??? I don't wanna loose top end. If i run a cdi, i should gain some rpm up top which will allow shorter gearing(to help accelleration), but how much before i start hurting the top end? I don't mind loosing a little, just don't want the Kid saying"if we had run another 50' i would have caught you"! Also plan to run synthetic oil as well(every little bit helps!). They will prolly be running in a field, fairly flat(no hill shooting). I don't wanna go into the motor right now(can't afford it!). Anyone have any tips or tricks to gain that xtra hp or two?

Thanks,
-Mark

Old 02-27-2003, 10:17 PM
Pro Rider

Just remember, winnings not everything.

Old 02-27-2003, 10:30 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

stock vs. stock (given the same traction) they are very close,and back and forth. If you put on a Exhaust system,and properly jett the carb,AND replace the CDI with a Ron-woods unit. You should be able to put an average of 3-4 bike lenghts on a Stock Cannibal Canondale.

When you buy the 22" tires, stay with stock gearing. The DS likes tall gearing(on flat ground)It has the Power to pull taller gearing and you will run faster easier[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Don't worry man, he DS is a very fast quad,and will give any other quad out their a good run! STOCK.

biggerisbetter

Old 02-27-2003, 11:15 PM
Pro Rider

Right on Kyle!!! There was a Cannondale last year @ Aledo, do you remember what it was? It sounded awesome, and was pretty quick. But NO match for the drunk Baja!!!!! I remember lining up 2-3 quads behind it(and a Banshee, Rappy, and 400ex) , blasting off and comin' by them all so hard about the 300ft mark that I think it scared them!!! LOL Not a smart thing to do....but you shoulda seen their faces as the Baja raced further and further away!!! LIFE IS GOOD.....at least on my Baja!!! Sounds as if there will be some REALLY fast stuff there this year. Maybe us Bombs will have a little more support.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-28-2003, 12:02 AM
Pro Rider

Aww, its all in fun. The kiddo is just a little(actually ALOT) cocky. He can ride well and is well aware of that! His biggest asset is his light weight. The DS has the hp, unfortuantlly it also has the weight. On the Hayabusa, 20lbs was worth .10 in the 1/4(1 mph). That may not seem like alot in the 1/8, but its forever in the 1/4. My bro-n-law is giving up almost 70lbs right off the batt. I'm not saying my DS is slow by any means, but i never discount the competition til i've seen for myself. Unfortunatlly, i won't have the opportunity beforehand. I won't even be there to watch the race. I'm just trying to give my Bro-n-law as much help as i can(i wanna hop up the DS anyway!!!). If my bro-n-law looses, I'll never hear the end of it...

Old 02-28-2003, 01:41 AM
Pro Rider

You get that carb from hoover????

Old 02-28-2003, 08:53 PM
Pro Rider

see if dsmikes will lend you his bike, that should give a win