CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Building a Faster DS- don't tell the rappy guys!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2003, 12:04 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building a Faster DS- don't tell the rappy guys!

Here is a link that I believe is very informative and have been reading for last few months, in truth I wasn't going to post any of this info cuz everyone likes to have an edge. But it isn't mine to withhold and I believe will spawn some excellent debate on this forum. Some of you may have already been exposed to some of these ideas and for other you will spend the next 4 hrs reading and the wheels will start spinning. I have to admit that I found the link on the Yammy forum last year and for those that missed it, it's worth a look.
enjoy- I know I have.
after you read break in secrets- sign up for the past 22 issues of power news- it's all free.!
Break in secrets

Old 03-17-2003, 12:18 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude dont belive everything ya read on the internet, kay? specially from a fruitcake like that...
ive rebuilt many of engines and guess what, some of the stuff he is saying about new honing technology is affecting the way newer bikes need to be broke in would ONLY apply to the engine from the dealer, which as he stated has already most likely been run before you got it, Any aftermarket rebuilder will use the same old honing devices weve been using for years, hence the same break in procedures, i used to own a couple YZ250's that were ridin in Sand dunes only and due to the heat, sand, and way they were ridin, had to be rebuilt all the time and we experimented with break in procedures, and the bottom line was most the time ya broke em in real hard, they would sieze in the first 10 minutes.
but go ahead and rev the crap outta your brand new $7k investment, keep us posted on the power gains.
Jetjock16

Old 03-17-2003, 12:39 AM
Pro Rider

if you are siezing up your engines - I would suspect the rebuild proceedure or a lack of adequate lubrication to critical engine components.
poperly sealing your rings is where power gains come from as well as additional benefits.
The bike runs great- but it's not stock, I've got a tad more than 7k in it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-17-2003, 01:06 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the link Majorecho! What really got my feathers ruffled was the mentioning of smaller intakes!?? I would guess, without reading, that it must have something to do with greater velosity of the air/fuel mixture going into the chamber...but, that will really **** off a lot of guys that've spent a big chunk of change getting the RWR or TVI heads thinking the bigger the better. Interesting stuff nonetheless. Maybe Knutz will honor us with his infinate wisdom on this matter...too bad we don't get many visits from actual builders in here!

Old 03-17-2003, 01:39 AM
Pro Rider

He is absolutley correct!! I have built probably over 200 hundred Race engines, V-8 engines that is and a few dozen snowmobile engines, from mild to wild. I have bought new Motorcycles and snowmobiles the same model and type as friends and we broke them in the same time. Now The first 3 bikes I owned I did what the manufacturer said and my friends told me don't do it! Run the **** ou tof it like you are going to ride it anyway! Well I didn't beleive them and also I didn't have the money then to fix it if I did actually do damage. And let me tell you something!, There bikes kicked the crap out of my bikes everytime! No JOKE! So after that I decided to give it a TRY and ride it hard and guess what? IT WORKED! And 60% of the time my stuff would actually run faster than their's! You do need to cool it down between hard runs for at least 10 to 15 minutes. But only for two or three runs. Then jsut ride the hell out of it!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]: Good Luck and Hang on!!

Old 03-17-2003, 01:52 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
No Mercy Racing! Got NOS?

hey Jiminok, i will talk to you tommorow about your motor. if you could, please try to get a bit of info on top-lube and jetting specs for methonal 45mm carb, just curious...thanx

Old 03-17-2003, 02:08 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: jetjock16
Dude dont belive everything ya read on the internet, kay? specially from a fruitcake like that...
ive rebuilt many of engines and guess what, some of the stuff he is saying about new honing technology is affecting the way newer bikes need to be broke in would ONLY apply to the engine from the dealer, which as he stated has already most likely been run before you got it, Any aftermarket rebuilder will use the same old honing devices weve been using for years, hence the same break in procedures, i used to own a couple YZ250's that were ridin in Sand dunes only and due to the heat, sand, and way they were ridin, had to be rebuilt all the time and we experimented with break in procedures, and the bottom line was most the time ya broke em in real hard, they would sieze in the first 10 minutes.
but go ahead and rev the crap outta your brand new $7k investment, keep us posted on the power gains.
Jetjock16

LMFAO!!!!! Your kidding me right???? obviously you have no idea who you are talking to with majorecho. Besides maybe some of the very best pro builders out there he is probably the best tuner on this sight!! Trust me he only wishes it was a 7k investment. I would say he has probly one of THE fastest machines on this forum period!!

Major......your in big trouble now buddy, I cant beleive you let the cat out of the bag man!!!! LOL

Old 03-17-2003, 10:56 AM
Elite Pro Rider

well i would like to say that i always follow the manufactures break-in, but i'll be honest there was a banshee there the first day when i got the first ds, and i just had to know. so i told myself i broke it in like i'm going to ride it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] well i pick up my second ds a few days later and go riding telling my self that i'm going to break it in the right way, well the other ds was there and i had to know which one was faster ( same ). well a few months later and a great sell on ds's and my brother buys one same break in, i guess he had to know. oh and they were all the same we all switched machines and any rider difference was switched from machine to machine. ok, my friend that does everything by the book has a ds(two) and both of his are slightly slower. i know this doesn't have any backing of any kind but it does cause me to ask maybe?

Old 03-17-2003, 11:08 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great topic! Really nothing new though. Many drag strip racers break their motors in this way. Many race engine builders recommend a similar break in method. Its good to know that there are others out there that use the same method.

Old 03-17-2003, 01:01 PM
Pro Rider

Ride it the day you get it the same as you plan to ride it as long as you own it! My 2000 DS went from the dealet into my RV. Drove to wash 10 and from there to Old's hill 50-100% throttle all the time. My DS hasn't skipped a beat with over 200 dune and desert trips on it.

I also have a 1986 VT1100 with over 135,000 miles on it. I left the dealer in Seattle and drove strait to Phoenix for a break in.

My 2276cc sand rail, two days after installing the engine I was in Mexico racing up the hills. That was 10 years ago, it still runs great.

An engine is like a woman, "treat her the day you get her like you will the rest of the time you have her". If she can handle the first ride and dosn't blow up or fall apart or complain she's good to go!!! If she complains, comes apart or quits, get rid of it and try something else.

Just another opinion.

Quick Reply: Building a Faster DS- don't tell the rappy guys!