CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

How do you launch in a drag?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2003, 12:39 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you launch in a drag?

Everytime I race, I end up loosing a couple bike legnths off the line. So I have to make up ground through the drag. I usually win, but sometimes the start kills me. My question is this......how do you lauch off the line hard, but not pull the front end? I have a buddy with a Rappy that I race with. Sometimes I beat him, sometimes he beats me. I KNOW my bike is faster though. So what is the best way for a HARD launch?

Old 03-31-2003, 12:52 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

2nd gear PINNED, and then POP the clutch!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] If you hesitate and try to feather the throttle, you will get TOO much traction and the front-end WILL come up. You have to break the back tires loose,but the trick is to start getting the power to the ground ASAP(without looseing MOmentium)! that means after the first ten feet or so ,start sliding SLOWLY to the rear of the seat.

In a perfect launch you should spin,hook,and wheelie all at the same time and NEVER have to let out of the throttle! DAMN!! THAT IS A GREAT FEELING!!!!this is getting me pumped just thinking about how that feels!!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

my.02

BIggerisbetter.

Old 03-31-2003, 12:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I'm geared down for good 2nd gear starts - I wind up to 6K and dump it, with my sack on the tank so the wheels can get spinning, and move back on the seat as soon as I can. the front comes up, but not much. without reving up and dumping, its hard to take the hole on a 400ex, let alone a raptor. if you don't rev enough you don't break the tires loose, if you rev too much they spin too much - just gotta try different degrees of rev and find what works best for you.

edit: hey, bigger beat me to it!

Old 03-31-2003, 01:00 PM
Pro Rider

If you take off in fourth gear you don't have to bother with shifting [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-31-2003, 01:03 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

LMAO!!

Thats the first time I have ever beat someone typing!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Glad to see we do have the same technique though. I have seen some poeple that don't have a clue, and then wonder why a Z400 can beat a DS/Rappy. LOL.

BIggerisbetter.

Old 03-31-2003, 02:11 PM
Elite Pro Rider

bigger is right that is a great feeling when you get a great start, if you get the chance make a few runs by your self and get a feel for the course. water has a way of changing the traction.

Old 03-31-2003, 04:42 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: biggerisbetter

In a perfect launch you should spin,hook,and wheelie all at the same time and NEVER have to let out of the throttle! DAMN!! THAT IS A GREAT FEELING!!!!this is getting me pumped just thinking about how that feels!!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

my.02

BIggerisbetter.
I tried that once. That great feeling I got was **** in my pants. LOL. I guess I need to work on it a little more. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-31-2003, 08:57 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

LMMFAO!!!!!!

Biggerisbetter.LOL!!

Old 04-01-2003, 12:41 AM
Pro Rider

tried that once. That great feeling I got was **** in my pants
That is a great feeling. Unless of course, you leave it in there too long while riding. Then it becomes sort of raw and itchy. But on the upside, it could add approx. 2" of virtual suspension travel.