CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Tell me about snake hunt and little sahara

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2003, 08:59 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tell me about snake hunt and little sahara

Guys for me its a 600 mile drive and id have to take off some days for work, i wanna make it up there someday to check it out. Whats it like, and whats i like during the snake hunt weekend, im sure the campgrounds will be full soooo can you just camp out in the dunes, we stay in our cargo trailer anyway, I just need some info to know if it is worth the time and money... how does it compare to other dunes, i mostly to to kermit TX, but ive been to all the dunes in WA, OR, and some in CA including Glamis.
thanks guys......... oh yeah and its the weekend of 25th right? anywebsites with pics of little sahara or snake hunt weekend pics at the dunes?
Jetjock16

Old 04-02-2003, 09:13 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Little Saraha Web Site, i dont know if this is what your looking for but its a start, last year was the first year i had gone, hoping to make it this year, i dont know about camping out on the dunes, i guess you could, but i havnt seen it done out there yet, last year when when up saturday morning, pulled into camp about 7:30am, we ended up parking about 1/8 mile for the north gate, people were lined up on both sides of the road and the south camp ground was packed, hopfully they will all 3 camp grounds open, last year they didnt have their newest one open, or at least i remember it being open, it was a blast and im hoping that i can make it again this year

Old 04-02-2003, 09:52 PM
Pro Rider

What dunes have you been to in Washington?? There are only a few that I know of and they're nothing special compared to most other dunes in the western states. If you've ever been to the Moses Lake sand dunes on Memorial Day weekend, Snake Hunt is a lot like that except maybe just a little bigger. It's also able to attract people with more high dollar toys because there aren't any big dunes in the plains states and it's an off weekend at any other sand playground.
Snake Hunt is THE reason I bought my DS. I had a friend telling me about how great it was, so I went last year and spent the weekend riding around with him in his buggy. It was miserable not having a ride of my own, but it was fun anyway. There were thousands of people there, with nonstop action. People ride all day and night, with racing happening in the day.
If you want people, want to see trick rides of every shape and style (and budget), and want to ride or race with them all, Snake Hunt is for you. If you want world-class dunes and hillshooting, you're SOL.

Old 04-02-2003, 11:03 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah bigben, i used to live in Moses Lake for 3 years, i was out there every memorial day! i used to have a YZ250 back then and a Big Jeep, was the funnest thing to do on that weekend, but the dunes are nothing special. WA also has Beverly Dunes about 2 hours south west of moses lake and they have better sand, more trees/trails but a very small area overall.......... anyway Lets hear more about Little sahara.......sounds fun soo far!!

Old 04-02-2003, 11:52 PM
Pro Rider

no camping on the dunes! but thats ok, the camps are located by the dune entrances. the north camp tends to be a little louder all hours of the night. the south camp is a little more calm. no drinkin' on the dunes but you may drink at camp & then ride all you want. there's some pretty fun mud holes & ponds around if your in to that. i have only been told that there is no comparison to glamis, but many come far away to ride little sahara often. i don't think that you will be dissapointed. haven't attended the snake hunt yet![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-03-2003, 02:23 AM
Pro Rider

jetjock-- I'm from Moses Lake; my family farms about ten miles west of town. I'm just in Kansas going to school. I had a '71 Chev K10 that I used to tear up the dunes until I built a sandrail in high school. Right before I left for college, my cousin and I loaded up our pickups and my sandrail and went to the Oregon dunes, so that's how I got a little perspective about what real dunes are like.
There is another very small dune area in WA near Pasco called Juniper. I've never been there.

About Little Sahara, I've only been there once so there are a lot of people on this site a lot more qualified to talk about it than I am. They don't even allow pickups past the entrances unless they have a roll bar and a flag. Camp sites fill up fast for Snake Hunt (which is April 26 and 27 this year); the guys I camped with last year had been there since Tuesday to get a good spot. The dune area is big enough to have fun, but doesn't hold a candle to any of the big dunes out west. I think LS has better sand than ML. That's about all I know.

Old 04-03-2003, 09:35 AM
Range Rover

BigBen, thats cool, i only lived in moses for about 2.5years and went to BIGBEND CC for awhile cause they had a flying program, after that i went to University in FL, now i fly jets in the Air Force, I Loved moses lake was couple of the funnest years of my life, tons of fishing, hunting, parties!! and Appleblossum!!
Jetjock16