CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

1st Shake down cruise completed! Results and afterthought.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2003, 03:43 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st Shake down cruise completed! Results and afterthought.

Well I took #5 out to Gorman today for the shake down! Everything seems to be in perfect running order. I decide to try my initial jetting at a 150 Main since everyone has been saying, with a bigger bore you create more vacuum so you need to jet down. Well Gorman is right at 4000 ft. and I used to always runa 150 before the new mods there so I figured it was a good starting point. She seemed to run pretty good but at about 9000 rpm she would start to fall on her face. It woould stumble a little like a miss or something. So for the sake of science and my own tinkering enjoyment I thru in a 157.5 main, needless to say it really stumbled HARD when I got on it. So Back to a 150 I went. I probably could have gone down to a 145 and would have been alright but I didn't have the time and I was still needing some spark plug and exhaust soot time on her. Anyway, it is difficult to say how much more power I am feeling. IT has a lot more pull on the top end it feels like. I think I need to lean out another jet size to get rid of the stumble and get above 9000 rpm.

The temperature ran awesome! it stayed right around 185 degrees. I tell you what though the single best improvement on this quad is the new swingarm I picked up from Gary. One word: AWESOME!!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] This is probably the best investment I have made so far on this quad. I was sacking a knarly whooped out trail in 4th and 5th gear ***** out and hardly felt a thing!! I wish I knew a swingarm whould have this effect a long time ago! Larry Your next!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] IT was a little deciving though I think because I couldn't tell If I was having clutch sliping problems our what. So these kids pulled me over and were asking What the Heck havew you done to that thing?! I said, "WHY"? They said everytime they heard that exhaust open up they saw dirt HURLING out the back. So I quess the lack of power that I am feeling is probably getting taken out on the rocks!? LOL Well after riding for about 15 minutes around Gorman I started smelling some anti-freeze and I saw whitish green goo squirting out the top of the resevoir!!! Well to my horror 2 thoughts came to my mind! First, That darn O-ring didn't do it's job and second the head gasket has started to leak again. Well I was about to go postal again and then I remembered that I had filled the radiator totally full and I had also filled the resevoir a tiny bit above the Max level. Well, the oil in the Anti-freeze was really pissing me off but I took a hose and blew into the resevoir and blew out enough anti -freeze to get back down to the minimum level. Then I double check the radiator and mad sure the coolant was just barley below the second lip of the opening. So now I figure that the oil I hope!???? Is just the residue that was left over because the rest of the coolant looked clear. So I fired her up and went for another 10 minute ride under heavy throttle and came back and let it idle unti,l it got hot and then I looked at the level and it was still sitting at the minimum level mark! Now I hope it stays like that and I don't have any more suprises! I have one more shake down cruise scheduled for tommorow just to make sure. It has used a little bit of oil but not to much so I don't think it is getting sucked into the coolant or at least that is my hope. Anyway I should have the final word tommorow. I think that I just had the resevoir filled to high and the pressure had know where to go but out the top of the resevoir cap! More tommorow!

Old 04-08-2003, 11:01 AM
Elite Pro Rider

man i'm getting those nervous feeling just waiting to see what happens, i know how that feeling is hoping you have the problem fixed. well that is great to hear the swingarm is good what length did you get?

Old 04-08-2003, 01:00 PM
Pro Rider

The 4in.