CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

OT: Car troubles

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2003, 10:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT: Car troubles

Hey I know this is off topic but you guys seem to be very knowledgeable so I thought I'd give it a shot....The A/C in my 2001 Volkswagen GTI VR6 is not working. It just started warming up outside and when I turned it on, all I get is warm air. I crank it down all the way to 65 and noticed that I never hear the compressor kick in. I confirmed this by looking under the hood; I can see that it is not spinning. I thought maybe a fuse was blown so I checked in the fuse panel, but can't find the A/C fuse. The fuse panel diagram is kind of cryptic. The car has the climatronic temperature control. Never had a lick of trouble out of her til now [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] It has a 100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty so I know I can get it fixed, it's just that I recently moved and i'll have to drive nearly 2 hours to the dealership....and if someone has some troubleshooting suggestions I'd appreciate it. thanks

Old 04-14-2003, 02:02 AM
Pro Rider

Does the compressor make any squealing noises like bad bearings. If you don't see any visual problems and it is not a bad fuse then just buy a couple cans of R134a or whatever refrigerant it takes and put it in. It's not very expensive. then you should be good to go. Maybe your local parts store can check the pressure in it with a AC pressure gauge (not expensive). The compressor will not kick on with low pressure in the system, and that usually happen from not using it all winter. Your supposed to use it at least once a month to keep everything oiled in the system.

Old 04-14-2003, 09:41 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the advice CrazyWhiteDude, I'll give the parts stores a shot. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-14-2003, 12:59 PM
Pro Rider

Check the fuses 1st..If you have looked at the a/c clutch and it dosen't engage, It's probably the fuse --BUT--- I'm gonna say it might be a bad a/c relay. When you find the relays there will probably be a few of them in one location. If they are the same relay try switching 2 of them around with a known good relay. If that dosen't work try unplugging and plugging in the a/c sensors . I had a sensor hang up on my Tahoe 2 yrs ago , I just tapped on it with a wrench and it's been good since. If that doesn't work then consider a re-charge of refridgerent.

Old 04-14-2003, 01:56 PM
Pro Rider

there is a sensor on the accumulator. This is the sensor that will kick the compressor on. Disconnect it and hotwire the male part or the wired partby sticking a paperclip in the connectors then if the compressor clutch turns on while vehicle running that means you probably are low on refrigerant or a leak in system.

Old 04-14-2003, 10:12 PM
Pro Rider

I checked the fuses - they are good. I'm not sure where to find the a/c relays or sensors or even what they look like. Same for the accumulator. This engine is packed in there, a V6 in a car this size is kinda tight...but I can see the compressor way down at the bottom. Anyways, I have an appointment for the dealer to look at it, but if it is something really simple I don't want to look like a complete idiot [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-15-2003, 12:24 AM
Pro Rider

Just knowing how to tell the difference between a good fuse and a bad one puts you way above some of the people car dealerships have to deal with...