CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Question about oil. Serious responses only.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2003, 10:11 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about oil. Serious responses only.

I want to know if the oil I'm using is good enough, here goes.....
Ok, in the winter I run Castrol 10-40. Now that it is getting warm I'm going to run Valvoline VR1 20-50 race oil. I know the Castrol is a good oil but I ran the Valvoline VR1 race oil last summer and I was wondering if it is good enough oil for my engine. It's not synthetic and it did not effect my clutch.
I would also like other suggestions for oils to use, BUT...... I am not going to pay a fortune for oil especially when I have to buy 4 quarts of it! No, I'm not saying I'm going to cheap out on oil because I know it's the most important thing for an engine but I want to know of a good oil that I'm not going to go broke buying.

The reason I was using the Valvoline VR1 oil is because when I went to the last championship off road races in Crandon, WI I saw my friend who is the crew chief for Evan Evans working on the truck, and the other people were pouring this oil in the motor. I was surprised since you can buy this oil at Walmart or napa, and Evan Evans won the race I was watching with no problems......SOLD ME!!! Other opinions on this.........

Old 04-17-2003, 10:25 PM
Pro Rider

I use vip's oil. it has no additives that will harm the cluch. any oil like that will be fine by the time it causes any damage (witch it won't) it will be time to rebuild the engine anyway. if your racing that's a diffrent story in that case some oils will give you more hp but you pay for it! But then again whats $35 a month or two in oil race gas is that ten fold.

Old 04-17-2003, 10:41 PM
Pro Rider

Not to sound dumb but I have never heard of vip's oil.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] Also I would like to know prices on the oils you people mention. Thanks in advance!!

Josh.

Old 04-17-2003, 11:06 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
No Mercy Racing! Got NOS?

of course use a non-synthetic oil!!! I have a high performance DS 720 and i use valvoline atv or street bike motor oil with the superior wet clutch protection , and high temp performance 10w-40 all year and it is $2.60 a qt 4-stroke motorcycle oil. this enables the clutch to hook up great under tremendous loads.

Old 04-17-2003, 11:17 PM
Pro Rider

vip is an automotive parts like pepboys and they have there own oil (its kinda like generic pills same thing but cheaper) it's $.98 a quart. I change my oil so often it's too expensive to spend $5 or $10 a quart. if you are going to spend the money go with the oil of the company that makes your quad not expensive car oil. you can also go to autozone they carry new oil desinged for quads price i'm not sure about but that's what my dad runs in his raptor i think it's around $4 +- $1 a quart. hope this helps

Old 04-17-2003, 11:18 PM
Pro Rider

What's the difference between the Valvoline ATV and street bike oil? If so what's better?

Old 04-17-2003, 11:48 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I use the motorcycle oil because the f650 is more of a street bike, and that where the ds 650 came from.. you can get this at checker auto, ect.

Old 04-17-2003, 11:52 PM
Pro Rider

I use Maxima, but that is just me... I have heard people say the car type oil isn't good on the clutches and some say it is OK, so to erase any doubt on it I just stick to the stuff at the bike shop.

Old 04-18-2003, 12:56 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

nobody that i know has ever used car oil in a atv!!!!! and two strokes are much different... the bmw street bike motor is practically the same as the ds 650 F.Y.I.

Old 04-18-2003, 03:00 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ANNIHILATER
nobody that i know has ever used car oil in a atv!!!!! and two strokes are much different... the bmw street bike motor is practically the same as the ds 650 F.Y.I.
Well I know of a few ppl who are using the 10w40 in theirs..

Quick Reply: Question about oil. Serious responses only.