CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

New guy, Oppinions wanted

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2003, 08:35 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy, Oppinions wanted

I just got mine two weekends ago. I'm 5'10 and weigh 210. I've owned a rappy, and wish I would had found the DS before ever buying the rappy. I love the power. Tis smooth and precise. Wheelies are not a problem at all. Dont let the weight of the bike scare you like it did me at first. This machine is like a rocket waiting to be lit up. Just point and shoot.

Good luck man

Old 04-21-2003, 10:26 PM
Pro Rider

I'm 6' 220 and have had a Zilla since 1990. The DS took almost no getting used to. The Raptor feels fast because the front end wants to come up all the time. The front end on the DS is heavier, with a pipe and rejetting it is much easier to lift the front end. On hard acceleration the nice thing is the front end comes up only when you want to. Hill climbs are great with it also. You will not notice the weight on trail. You will notice the plushest seat and suspension that Raptors only dream about though. With some massaging, you will also get used to 4 strokes. If you also notice on this forum the only problems are usually about what modifications to be done rather than break downs. It is extremely reliable. It is also the coolest looking quad out there. Get one and never look back (except to see the slower riders.)

Old 04-22-2003, 10:05 AM
Trailblazer

Wow guys, thanks for all the great responses! Sounds like everyone really likes this bike. Most of your responses really backed up what I thought, that's great. I was checking out the Team Alba Baja that comes hopped up for around MSRP price. Any oppinions?

Also,

I know I said that I was disregarding the V-Force, but I picked up a copy of ATV Action last night and they counldn't say enough about it. It got me kind of thinking about it actually. It's a pretty thourough write up for those of you who haven't read it. They tested it in all conditions except dunes and really gave it alot of praise. Said it's super fast and powerful and that the auto tranny is quick and responsive. They said they did not miss shifting at all. That would be cool if the bike performed as well as a manual but you didn't have to shift. Could be really fun to ride. They gave it a 5 out of 5 star rating. Around the size of the Bomb too. I know that mags usually rate the newest stuff high, but they really kissed this bikes *** big time. Sounds like the real deal. Any oppinions on this bike? Anybody know anyone whose had a little time on one yet? The dealer down the street for me sells both bikes and has one of each on the floor. I want to go compare tonight. Thanks in advace guys, this board is a great asset with some awesome, helpful people.

Scottty

Old 04-22-2003, 10:30 AM
Pro Rider

About the V-force - go test drive one. I did, and I was impressed by it's performance, but I immediately knew I liked my DS better. The vforce felt kinda tippy like a raptor, and was not as comfortable as the DS. Don't get me wrong, the vforce is one bad machine! I'd love to drag race one [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-22-2003, 10:40 AM
Trailblazer

thanks man. I need to hear this stuff. I hate trying to figure out what to buy, but I HAVE to get the right bike! Keep 'em coming guys.

Scottty

Old 04-22-2003, 11:49 AM
Pro Rider

Well I have a Rappy and a DS as you say that the rappy seems small and kinda tippy. As the front end on the both after riding the DS all day and getting on the rappy it feels like I am going to roll it over backwards. As throttle response between the two the DS is better there is way less hesitation when approaching a jump when you want to give it the little goose to keep the front up.
I test road a KFX700 though the auto tranny was kinda cool just gas and go. The suspension travel is and always will be less due to the drive shaft instead of chain.
Also from what I know out can’t change the gearing like you can on a chain drive.
So if you want to go torch or top end. You get the KFX700 and that’s what you get. They also pre heat the gas before the carb. So if you live in a really cold area it would be O.K. but heating the gas reduces power. Some one posted how to bypass it somewhere on here.

Just my thoughts.

Old 04-22-2003, 01:00 PM
Elite Pro Rider

i've been watching the v-force at the dunes now for about a month, they wheelie really well or so it seems. they get off the line in a hurry but that is about where things start to change, there top end seems to fade i'm sure the aftermarket will get going on this and change a lot of the performance, but that suspension is something that will be hard to get over.

Old 04-23-2003, 12:43 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks again guys. I went and looked at both at the dealer today. The Ds still "felt" better. The Kawi was cool too but I just couldn't picture myself on it like I could the DS. Also, although it's heavier than the DS, it doesn't seem as beefy. Seems like there's alot of stuff ready to break. The plastic seems real brittle too and the radiator is sitting right out in front barely protected. I like how the bomb is built and I love how it feels. Think I'm gonna go with The DS. The suspension looks like it's it's greatest asset. I was jumping up and down on the front bumper trying to bottom it and didn't come close. The guy was looking at me like I was an *** (I am an ***, so it kinda worked out). Well thanks for your replies guys, you helped me out alot.

Scottty