CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Anyone up for Hungry Valley or Red Rocks this Weekend?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2003, 10:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone up for Hungry Valley or Red Rocks this Weekend?

I am thinking about heading up to Red Rocks or Gorman this weekend. Anyone interested?

Old 04-25-2003, 02:08 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I'm interested, however I'm optimistically hoping I'll be able to make a trip. Right now I've got both DSs torn apart so that I can check the valves & change the oil. The oil change was a horribly messy experience on the first ATV which REALLY needs a bath now to get the oil off. On the Baja I had learned a little and was able to prevent all of the mess.

Unfortunatly for me my smallest feeler gauge is 0.005 and with the minimum being 0.004 I don't know if I'm within specs or not. I'll be getting some new feeler gauges tomorrow so then I'll have the answer. I'd bet if they are in spec that I could get them both back together in time as well as change the tires for a trip. However If they are out of spec then I'm going to have my first valve shim changing experience. I can say though that after opening these things up & reading the F650 website then speaking with my future Uncle in law / mechanic I've got a fair grasp of how this whole deal works.

For anyone who wants to comment here are the valve specs currently, which has me hoping this is a good thing:

On the 2001 DS650 both exhaust valves were 0.005 and the intake could not be measured since the feeler was too thick.

On the 2003 Baja both exhaust valves were 0.005 and the intake could not be measured since the feeler was too thick.

I find it interesting that BOTH ATVs were exactly the same which leads me to believe they are both quite possibly within spec, however I really do want to check with the proper equipment before I slap everything back together.

If you're planning on a Sunday trip, I might be able to make it even if I have to change shims assuming everything goes well & I'm able to find the parts I need.

Old 04-25-2003, 01:51 PM
Pro Rider

you guy's have an extra quad..LOL

Old 04-25-2003, 02:00 PM
Pro Rider

BMW is a great source thay are fast. Do a search on valves Mudpatrol has a nice shim chart.

Old 04-26-2003, 12:24 AM
Pro Rider

i would go but...(look at my sig)[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 04-26-2003, 12:31 AM
Pro Rider

Well I think I am going to go tommorow afternoon around 2 or 3:00 p.m. to Gorman. And then I may go to Dove Springs or maybe even Dumont[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] on Sunday!! If the bike doesn't through me any fits tommorow I will be totally stoked![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I think we are finally dialed in.

Old 04-26-2003, 02:09 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I'm going to be searching for shims first thing tomorrow. The 2001 DS had zero clearance so I need a few different sizes & the 2003 was at 0.003 so I need to adjust that one as well.

Does Bombardier install the same shims on all machines from the factory? The shim which was labeled on the 2001 was a 235, so I'm hoping they're all close.

Tony, where do you go for shims around these parts? I'm going to try the local shops first but if I get desperate I'll be in the valley in a heartbeat.

Old 04-26-2003, 02:20 AM
Pro Rider

Try JMG! They are in your neck of the woods. If not try and find a BMW dealership that sells there bikes and they should have them for sure. Oh, Hey I know! Go to your nearest Kawasaki dealer they should have those shims, Ithink they used to use them on the 650's or something like that. But don't be surprised if the parts guy say's they don's carry them! But the service department will have them. Jus task the Service manager and they should be able to hook you up!

Old 04-26-2003, 09:19 PM
Pro Rider

So it looks like I am up for a trip tommorow! Someone want to go?

Old 04-27-2003, 02:33 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I got the valve job done on the Black DS today - I had to go down three sizes in shims for an end result of 0.006 so it should be good for a while. Fired it up & everything looked good. I've got the Baja to finish up tomorrow. I spoke with my buddy about setting up a Dove Springs / Red Rock canyon trip in two weeks (his next weekend off.) We should see if those Corona boys can get their acts together enough to make a trip out on that weekend. Heck, I'd probably be up for another day trip next weekend as well.

Quick Reply: Anyone up for Hungry Valley or Red Rocks this Weekend?