CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

something is messed up in my clutch and i need help

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2003, 04:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default something is messed up in my clutch and i need help

i am really really confused now... what the hell to i do???

Old 04-26-2003, 04:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

You'll have to take the clutch cover back off, and when you do confirm proper torque on the spring bolts like you said. You will see that they tighten against a stud making it impossible to compress the springs too far. But they do need tightened properly so they don't come loose or anything.

About your problem - the only thing I can think of is that the gears may be in a bind from improper alignment when the cover was installed. The lever that the cable hooks to rotates a plastic gear, which is used to push a rack gear towards the clutch to disengage the disks. When you get the cover off, look closely at these components - the straight gear sticks out of the center of the clutch, and it needs to be perfectly aligned (rotated) so that the teeth will mesh perfectly with the round gear on the lever as you slide the cover on. The cover should go on very easy - if not then the gears are not perfectly aligned and possible damage to plastic teeth could result if forced. It may sound confusing, but when you get the cover off and look closely, you will see. Once the cover is in place, if the lever is not positioned right for cable hook-up, you may need to remove cover again, rotate the lever a little differently, and re-install. Its kinda trial and error because it will spin as you push the cover on once it meshes with the rack gear in the middle of the clutch.

To avoid having to drain oil, if you have already re-filled, you can tip the bike up - block the front and back wheels up about a foot on the left side and you won't spill any oil. makes it easier to work on too, not so much kneeling.

Old 04-26-2003, 04:47 PM
Pro Rider

89 inch pounds is right (brain fart[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img])

Old 04-26-2003, 04:50 PM
Pro Rider

Listen to Hightower he explained it very well[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-26-2003, 04:57 PM
Pro Rider

i got them to "mesh" cause i noticed that the lever spined a little when putting it on. i dunno should i just try more or what??

Old 04-26-2003, 05:05 PM
Pro Rider

I would try it again and if it still don't work then I would put back your stock springs and try it. If it does work with your stock springs then I would say that Alba sent you the wrong ones.

Old 04-26-2003, 05:06 PM
Pro Rider

well there the right ones cause on the bag it says DS650 clutch springs, and they fit in there so... i guess i'll keep trying [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 04-26-2003, 05:08 PM
Pro Rider

I agree with what hightower said, it sounds like something is in a bind. The springs should not be causing this, and the guy at alba must be smoking some good stuff.

I find most parts guys actually know very little about what they are selling.

Pull it apart and you will see. On my baja it did not have a plastic gear, it was metal. I know because I had to replace it when I broke a tooth off. Your problem sounds similar. I bet you have a broken tooth that has lodged in and that is why you cant turn the arm.

But I could be wrong also.

Bat

Old 04-26-2003, 05:10 PM
Pro Rider

theres nothing lodged in there though.. and the teeth are fine

Old 04-26-2003, 09:28 PM
Pro Rider

I say leave them loose and tell us what happens...J/K . Seriously these guys know what they are talking about especially Hightower I would not second guess anything he says about the DS. Im sure its something simple...Gonna do mine clutch springs here soon so watch out.

Quick Reply: something is messed up in my clutch and i need help