Chinese Quads Brands such as Jetmoto, Yamoto, Redcat, V-Bike, Hi Bird, and Kazuma

Oil Light Flashing Unison Desert Cat 90

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 12:28 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Light Flashing Unison Desert Cat 90

The oil light on my son's brand new DC 90 (only one tank of gas) is coming on intermittently. It happens at the same speed basically. I took it for a ride down the street and noticed that it comes on at about 15 MPH, and will go out at about 20. It does it whether I gradually accelerate or give it full throttle. How does the oil light work? Does it measure oil level or actual oil being supplied to the motor? I am hoping that this isn't going to be a problem, because we are going out riding tomorrow morning. Any info would be appreciated!!!!!!!

Old 03-21-2007, 04:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

I don't know much about unisons except that they have two stroke engines. They either need fuel pre-mixed with 2-cycle engine oil or have an oil injection system. My guess is that they are oil injected.

If so, they will have a reservoir to add (2-cycle) oil seperate from the fuel tank and the engine pulls from that as it runs. You need to watch the level of oil in this reservoir and add oil before every ride to top it off. Usually oil injected two stroke machines have a low oil light to let you know when the oil reservoir level is getting low. I assume this is what is flashing, but am not positive. Please check this out immediately. If it is a low oil warning light, you will burn the engine down if you continue to operate the machine without adding oil.

Newer two cycle snowmobiles have a similar system if you want a reference to oil injection systems.

I hope this helps and is not too late. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-21-2007, 04:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

Also... if I am correct and your oil reservoir is low, when you accelerate the oil may run backward in the tank uncovering the low oil sensor and then when your speed becomes more constant the oil runs back over it as it levels in the tank and the light goes out. Just a theory.

Old 03-21-2007, 06:43 PM
Trailblazer

Yes it is a 2 stroke, and the oil tank is full. I filled it when I bought it, mixed pre-mix in with the first tank for break-in and am on the beginning of the second tank of gas.

Old 03-22-2007, 09:12 AM
Weekend Warrior

At least it's not that. I don't really have anything else as far as advice without knowing how the light works and what makes it function. Basically the same question you have.

If the machine functions properly and the plug looks like it's burning ok (getting enough oil), I would assume it's probably an electrical issue of some sort. Sorry I can't be of more help. good luck!