Chinese Quads Brands such as Jetmoto, Yamoto, Redcat, V-Bike, Hi Bird, and Kazuma

Vbike 250-V4D engine size?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 03:29 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Texsalmon
Tim at VBike must have seen the post. He called me, assured me it was a 250cc engine and the reason the swing arm metal tag stated 197cc was due to rules in California.
This is plausible if the same frame is used with a 197cc engine and marketed as a 200cc V-Bike and they just left the tag on the frame. This assume the 197cc engine was submitted, tested, and received a valid CARB certificate. That is the only legal scenario.

If the exact quad you have is being sold in California as anything but a 197cc (200cc) quad with a CARB certified 197cc engine, then there may be some fraud going on. In California, every gas engine installed on a quad MUST receive CARB certification before any sale.

A 197cc is a different engine than a 233cc or whatever and must receive its own certificate. They can not put a 233cc on it, label as a 197cc and sell it legally.

Here is the link to the CARB orders listing each and every engine that is legal to sell in California, both green(all year) and red(restricted) use.

Subject Top Page: On-Road New Vehicle & Engine Certification Program

I believe they also have stated requirements things like tag must be metal and located here or there. Don't remember the details but I do not think the swing arm is a legal location. I'll post reference if I can find it.

If I was you, I would start digging even further as smell of something rotten is getting stronger.

Old 09-07-2009, 04:27 PM
Pro Rider

The information come from the tag riveted to the rear swing arm:
MFR: TaoTao Industries Co. Ltd.
Eng Family: 9V/*** 250 AMA
Displacement: 197cc
The front tag has a silver sticker: [ATA250-D] with 2009 year on a rivited plate.

The swing arm tag is not a tag that meets California standards.

If you can find a VIN number, that will be the ticket to decode exactly what this thing is including the engine details. Post here so we can help further.

EDIT:
Here is link to decode the engine family. It must be 12 positions. Double check and repost so we can help.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/1896719/En...gency-cisd0703

Old 09-07-2009, 08:15 PM
Pro Rider

OK. Based on the engine family I found a CARB certificate issued for it. Last one was 2007 (for CA), so this quad is not able to be sold in California.

Here is the official engine family: 9VCOX.250AMA

position 1 is year: 9=2009
position 2-4 is manufacturer: VCO=Vicoo
position 5 is vehicle type: X=atv
position 6-9 engine displacement:250=250cc
position 10-12 identifier: AMA

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onroad/...04_197-230.pdf

Also, I stumbled across this thread. I would do more searches on vbike ata250, etc. May likely find more info right here.

http://forums.atvconnection.com/2553213-post18.html

http://forums.atvconnection.com/2541075-post1.html

Old 09-08-2009, 11:03 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default VBike ATA 250 Engine?

Windtrader
Here is the VIN number: L5NATSBB29T015932 on Bill of Sale and etched in front on frame.
Engine has a paper sticker: 164FML90516127
Front metal plate has ATA250 05/2009
The metal plate on the swing arm: 197cc

What did I get?

Thanks for all your help.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:28 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Texsalmon
Engine has a paper sticker: 164FML90516127

What did I get?

Thanks for all your help.
A paper sticker? I would think there would be number stamped or engraved on the engine somewhere...

Old 09-08-2009, 01:48 PM
Pro Rider

You would think some place on the engine there should be a stamped number or even casted into the the cylinder base someplace that states the cc's.

Old 09-08-2009, 02:40 PM
Pro Rider

OK. I found more info, not much will help you out.

The VIN follows published standard. L5 - means chinese made,
ATSBB is mfg model/make, etc.
9 is year of manufacturer
T is location
serial number follows.

Apparently, it is not a standard to HAVE to follow this as my Jetmoto has a totally different format that is different than most all other major manufacturers of autos, atv, and motorcycles.

The front metal plate looks like nothing official, just states model and year.

Metal swing arm plate is meaningless.

Engine number has format that looks quite standard. I have not done any research on that but I have seen other posts here that discuss motors with certain engine numbers. Search around here for more info.

I did a LOT of research into this but wanted to finalize my own study of all the numbers, certificates, etc, on my Jetmoto. It is very reassuring that I could track and verify all the numbers to official documents.

CARB green certificate includes specific engine family, model year, manufacturer.

California Title has VIN, year, manufacturer, engine number.

Certificate of Origin has similar info as title.

Bike has two metal tags which include year, vin, displacement, engine family, manufacturer, model, engine number. Frame is stamped with VIN in very visible location.

Kudos to Eugene and Jetmoto for doing a really professional first class job on all the documentation. It is exactly on par with the big names.

Good luck on your search. You are going to need to roll up your sleeves and really dig down and start your own research.

Remember I found a link to Vicoo getting certification in Calif. which is the manufacturer of the engine. If not for the stricter emissions and licensing requirements in Cal. I am not sure how I would find out the real and true info on these things. I did not get a sense there is much control at the federal level, although I do think there is some sort of engine registration process.

Old 09-10-2009, 11:17 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by windtrader
If not for the stricter emissions and licensing requirements in Cal. I am not sure how I would find out the real and true info on these things. I did not get a sense there is much control at the federal level, although I do think there is some sort of engine registration process.
The factory I was at last summer made ATV's to 3 standards... E.E.C. (European and possibly Canadian) E.P.A. and C.A.R.B...

From what I heard the EEC is real easy...EPA a little tougher and CARB is both tough and expensive...$100.00 a CC to get green sticker certified..

The thing that was the most surprising to me was how few Chines ATV's make it here to the USA...The factory i was at shipped less then 5% here...2 of the people I met at the factory I was at have moved to other factories...They both tell me their current factories dont ship anything here...Too much of a hassle and expense compared to the other markets..

Old 09-10-2009, 11:34 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by mywifesquad
The factory I was at last summer made ATV's to 3 standards... E.E.C. (European and possibly Canadian) E.P.A. and C.A.R.B...

From what I heard the EEC is real easy...EPA a little tougher and CARB is both tough and expensive...$100.00 a CC to get green sticker certified..

The thing that was the most surprising to me was how few Chines ATV's make it here to the USA...The factory i was at shipped less then 5% here...2 of the people I met at the factory I was at have moved to other factories...They both tell me their current factories dont ship anything here...Too much of a hassle and expense compared to the other markets..
I'm pretty sure Canada is much closer to US than EU standards, just based on what is on the road there is basically the same as here.

CARB certification process is insane, both in time and cost. Just go look at the 2010 cert list and you see just the big boys can only afford to certify each class if engine. Only saving grace is the cert is issued for engine family and it seems to be a way that different cc engines can get grouped under one cert, so cost per engine goes down.

Still a huge barrier compared when looking at where a quad can be sold on a worldwide basis.

Interesting note is to see how 2007 was the peak for chinese certs in california. There were very few chinese certs in 2009 and so far none in 2010, although it still slightly early but the big guys must be close to stocking '010 models. I can't believe with the economy still in the dumps and probably a good supply of used clean big brands selling cheap, a handful of chinese certs for 010 would be alot.

Old 11-08-2015, 10:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default toatoa-bummer

I just bought a ToaToa 250 Rhino ATV. Model 250 is not a 250cc ATV- the model is such to deceive one into thinking they are getting a 250cc Unit- wrong !! If you scroll down the posted spec sheet it say it comes with a 200cc engine- wrong again, mine came from ToaToa.us with a 197cc (no name, no model numbered engine.) I ordered Burgundy- got bright red. - NOT ONLY THAT, BUT THE RHINO 250 BOX ALSO HAD ATA250-D PRINTED ON IT- WHAT I GOT WAS A HYBRID- THE BODY WAS A RHINO (I THINK). IT CAME WITH THE RHINO BRUSH GUARD BUT THE 250 RACERX RACK SYSTEM. THIS UNIT APPEARS TO HAVE SHIPPED BEING MADE OF PARTS FROM VARIOUS ATVs. I DID NOT GET WHAT I ORDERED AND FEEL RIPPED OFF. THE BRAKE SWITCH WAS BROKEN, AND THEY STUCK SOME KIND OF CHEEZY "250" STICKER ON THE SIDE OF TANK COWLING. THE QUALITY OF PLASTIC IS VERY POOR. I KNOW THEY SAYS YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR- BUT IN THIS CASE I DIDN'T EVEN GET THAT. I WILL NOT BUY ANOTHER TOATOA ATV.

Quick Reply: Vbike 250-V4D engine size?