Chinese Quads Brands such as Jetmoto, Yamoto, Redcat, V-Bike, Hi Bird, and Kazuma

Lets See If You Guys Can Figure It Out

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 06:26 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LynnEdwards
Wow! In a million years I would have never guessed that based on the symptoms. But now that you've nailed it, it sort of makes sense. Without any ground the trigger wouldn't work at all, but with an AC ground through the regulator and an output impedance of 150 ohms through the trigger coil, the trigger would occur but would be delayed.

I'm really impressed that you found this. I'm very glad you shared it.
You lost me at trigger . It is an awesome thing have smart fellers like you guys around though.

Joel

Old 12-11-2009, 07:40 PM
Pro Rider

trigger coil, pick up coil, pulser coil it has a bunch of names depending who you talk to

Old 12-11-2009, 09:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

With the poor grounding issue, did you ever hold the sparkplug near the cylinder and verify spark? If so, would it shock you? I have tried this and got shocked, but haven't found any damaged wiring. I have never been shocked before checking the spark plug like this.

Old 12-11-2009, 11:43 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by skydogg123
With the poor grounding issue, did you ever hold the sparkplug near the cylinder and verify spark? If so, would it shock you? I have tried this and got shocked, but haven't found any damaged wiring. I have never been shocked before checking the spark plug like this.
You don't hold the spark plug "near" the cylinder head. You must have it connected/pushed/jammed up against the cylinder head. The spark is trying to return to ground. If the threads of the spark plug are away from engine ground, and you are holding on to it, it will try to get to ground through you. Yeah, you will get shocked. At the spark plug end of things it is really low current. It stings, but isn't dangerous (unless it makes you jump and insert yourself into something dangerous). I'm more careful with the primary side where the voltage can be 300 volts (at speed) and has substantial (and dangerous) current available.

Old 12-12-2009, 05:52 PM
Pro Rider

the bike fired very brightly but like i said it retarded by like 30 degrees. and yes it would shock you .lol. i checked the retardation with a timing light. it had me bumfuzzled for a little while