Chinese Quads Brands such as Jetmoto, Yamoto, Redcat, V-Bike, Hi Bird, and Kazuma

Tao Tao ata125F1 not charging Help please!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 09:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tao Tao ata125F1 not charging Help please!

tried a new rectifier but still wont charge,it appears that the stator is working, here are some AC voltages(at high idle)
Yellow to white 8.5
yellow to green 12 to 30
white to green 10.6
not sure what all to check any help would be appreciated.its a 4 wire plug at rectifier.

Old 03-02-2017, 03:40 PM
Trailblazer

You need more than 12volts to charge a 12v battery. If the output from the rectifier is below 12 then either rectifier or stator is bad. If you've changed the rectifier it sounds like its the stator

Old 03-03-2017, 12:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

Unsub, thanks for the reply, there is no doubt there has to be more than 12V to charge the battery, high 13s to low 14s, I guess I was hoping someone may be able to look at the voltages on the stator to see if these were in an acceptable range. there seems to be alot of rectifiers that look the same and are different on inside so wont work in all applications.

Old 03-13-2017, 10:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

I would check to make sure that the ground on the regulator connector has good continuity to ground. Than test the resistance on the stator, yellow to white with the regulator unhooked. From the diagram I located it looks like it should be around 1.2 ohms. Also verify that you have good continuity from the regulator connector to the battery, the red wire.

Old 03-14-2017, 10:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the help, I have continuity from the ground wire at rectifier to battery ground and also red wire at rectifier (plugged in) to battery so that's all ok, yellow to white has ohm reading of 2.7 .... what does that tell you?

Old 03-15-2017, 02:54 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Pgfab
Thanks for the help, I have continuity from the ground wire at rectifier to battery ground and also red wire at rectifier (plugged in) to battery so that's all ok, yellow to white has ohm reading of 2.7 .... what does that tell you?
When you testing voltage output across the yellow to white were you reading in ac volts? The voltage out of the stator will be in ac volts which the rectifier side of the regulator turns into direct current to charge the battery and run the electronics. I would test the output voltage with the regulator unhooked and with ac voltage as your setting on the multimeter and see what you get. Most information I have found states 9.5 volts ac is what you are looking for. This is lower than the D.C. Output of the regulator, but the capacitors in the regulator will step it up to what should be higher than battery voltage inside the regulator. If you are just a bit lower than that than you might be getting just not quite enough voltage to charge or maintain the battery.

Old 03-19-2017, 07:01 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by bryanwheat
When you testing voltage output across the yellow to white were you reading in ac volts? The voltage out of the stator will be in ac volts which the rectifier side of the regulator turns into direct current to charge the battery and run the electronics. I would test the output voltage with the regulator unhooked and with ac voltage as your setting on the multimeter and see what you get. Most information I have found states 9.5 volts ac is what you are looking for. This is lower than the D.C. Output of the regulator, but the capacitors in the regulator will step it up to what should be higher than battery voltage inside the regulator. If you are just a bit lower than that than you might be getting just not quite enough voltage to charge or maintain the battery.
thanks, yes I was testing in ac volts, at high idle yellow to white was 8.5 volts, I ordered a stator and tried it when it came in, it wouldn't start with new stator, it had spark but just too weak. So I've ordered another one I'll try it when it gets here.