Chinese Quads Brands such as Jetmoto, Yamoto, Redcat, V-Bike, Hi Bird, and Kazuma

Please help with Chinese wiring issue. I've read every one of your posts, no luck

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2024 | 02:48 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Do the same voltage tests on your buddy's bike when you have the CDI plug disconnected. That way you find out roughly what the readings should be, OK you need it plugged in for the black/yellow test. Check his CDI plug wire colours match yours regarding pinouts.

Old 06-20-2024 | 10:29 AM
|
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by merryman
Do the same voltage tests on your buddy's bike when you have the CDI plug disconnected. That way you find out roughly what the readings should be, OK you need it plugged in for the black/yellow test. Check his CDI plug wire colours match yours regarding pinouts.
the 26 volts I'm seeing at the black and white wire at the cdi? That's not an issue?

Old 06-21-2024 | 02:01 AM
Elite Pro Rider

As I wrote above, check the bike you are trying the CDI out on, if that bike's CDI doesn't produce any volts, but yours does, then it may indicate a problem within your CDI but, as the black/white is disconnected when the bike is running, it would not affect the spark.

Old 06-29-2024 | 06:35 PM
|
Trailblazer

Sorry for the late response I've been busy. Thank you again. So I just left my buddy's house that has a running Chinese four-wheeler and I am now completely confused as if I weren't already. His has a 12 volt DC power wire going to the CDI box outside of the connector. When you unplug it it runs when you plug it in it runs. When you plug my CDI box into his four wheeler it runs. He has 75 volts coming out of his black with white Tracer out of the CDI where I have 26. and he also has nothing coming out of the black with yellow wire going to the coil. Also when I unplugged the spark plug wire from the plug itself so it wouldn't start while I was doing these tests, it wouldn't turn over anymore. I had to reconnect the spark plug wire to get that bike to turn over.

Old 06-30-2024 | 03:36 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Sorry, but you also now have me totally confused, you stated earlier there was 26v on your black/white, which isn't all that relevant anyway. Big question is, do the same colour wires go to the same pins on both CDI plugs, and what voltages/resistances do you get on the black/red and blue/white wires to both bike's CDI plugs? I can't see any reason taking the plug lead off could affect the starter circuit either.

Old 06-30-2024 | 07:08 AM
|
Trailblazer

I apologize I just fixed the post yes I did have 26 volts at the black and white wire while he had 75. I also tested the current coming from the stator at idle it was 73v ac. At the cdi box. Also something I noted, yellow wire going to kill switch in handlebars had 51v dc at idle, and brown wire had 15v dc at idle.

yes he was standing right there and witnessed it. He said what did you do to my bike now it won't even turn over..... all I did was unplug the wire from the spark plug so the bike wouldn't start, so I plugged wire back onto the spark plug and the starter motor started working again.

Old 06-30-2024 | 07:11 AM
|
Trailblazer

Sorry, but you also now have me totally confused, you stated earlier there was 26v on your black/white, which isn't all that relevant anyway. Big question is, do the same colour wires go to the same pins on both CDI plugs, and what voltages/resistances do you get on the black/red and blue/white wires to both bike's CDI plugs? I can't see any reason taking the plug lead off could affect the starter circuit either.
I didn't get a chance to test resistance but I did test the black with red wire it was 73 volts ac. Blue/white was less than 1v on my meter, but so is the other three that I have tested with the same meter.

forgive me for asking a dumb question but what is my CDI box supposed to be doing in this situation?

And yes the wiring colors corresponded to mine.

Old 06-30-2024 | 07:14 AM
|
Trailblazer

This is his cdi

Old 07-01-2024 | 02:45 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Yellow shouldn't go to kill switch it should go from stator to regulator. Sometimes tapped off for other duties like an automatic choke. This shouldn't affect spark if you have the kill wire (black/white) disconnected anyway. Testing the blue/white from stator would have been useful, but one thing is the other bike is producing twice the voltage on the power coil (black/red) so maybe not enough, I would have thought 56v, or 30v plugged in, would be, but that is a difference. The wiring diagram Eduardo58 put up is fairly clear, if yours follows it regarding the ignition, which, with black/white disconnected, is purely stator, cdi and coil, you should get a spark, so one of those components is faulty. It could be a slightly faulty cdi is working with 73v but not with 56v, it could be the stator, either power coil at 56v isn't enough, or whatever blue/white is making isn't enough. If you are not getting a high AC voltage going to coil (black/yellow) when spun on starter and everything except coil wire plugged in, the fault is before the coil.

Old 07-01-2024 | 10:36 AM
|
Trailblazer

Yellow shouldn't go to kill switch it should go from stator to regulator. Sometimes tapped off for other duties like an automatic choke. This shouldn't affect spark if you have the kill wire (black/white) disconnected anyway. Testing the blue/white from stator would have been useful, but one thing is the other bike is producing twice the voltage on the power coil (black/red) so maybe not enough, I would have thought 56v, or 30v plugged in, would be, but that is a difference. The wiring diagram Eduardo58 put up is fairly clear, if yours follows it regarding the ignition, which, with black/white disconnected, is purely stator, cdi and coil, you should get a spark, so one of those components is faulty. It could be a slightly faulty cdi is working with 73v but not with 56v, it could be the stator, either power coil at 56v isn't enough, or whatever blue/white is making isn't enough. If you are not getting a high AC voltage going to coil (black/yellow) when spun on starter and everything except coil wire plugged in, the fault is before the coil.
okay I'm going to go and do a little more testing on mine in a little bit, I would also like to add that the bike I was testing this weekend was bought brand new and never touched it's not altered in any way it's the way it came from the factory.

the spark plug wire completing a ground somewhere on his running bike, has really got me thinking about my spark problem. I still can't grasp my head around why that bike did that

Quick Reply: Please help with Chinese wiring issue. I've read every one of your posts, no luck