Club News and Events Share information about ATV clubs, club activities and membership, ATV events, etc.

CENTRAL OKLAHOMA ATV CLUB

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 12:47 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CENTRAL OKLAHOMA ATV CLUB

Well, I talked to the dealer today and my quad is fixed and ready to be picked up. They replaced the CDI (248.00) and charged me 50.00 to install it. Not a bad price I guess.

My question is - Is it considered normal for the CDI in an '05 Kodiak 450 to go out after only 2000 miles?

On another subject, we are planning on riding the river at Rivermist 1 week from this saturday. Everyone is welcome to come along if you want, just let me know ahead of time so we can all meet up.

James

Old 09-06-2006, 01:43 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Jamesh921
Well, I talked to the dealer today and my quad is fixed and ready to be picked up. They replaced the CDI (248.00) and charged me 50.00 to install it. Not a bad price I guess.

My question is - Is it considered normal for the CDI in an '05 Kodiak 450 to go out after only 2000 miles?

On another subject, we are planning on riding the river at Rivermist 1 week from this saturday. Everyone is welcome to come along if you want, just let me know ahead of time so we can all meet up.

James
50.00 to install? All you do is plug it in. I guess they have to charge you something. James i suggest not letting the battery to go bad and ride it this time.

Brent

Old 09-06-2006, 08:41 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: trailride

James
50.00 to install? All you do is plug it in. I guess they have to charge you something. James i suggest not letting the battery to go bad and ride it this time.

Brent
His quad, tight fit, screwed in and considering troubleshooting. I don't think a bad price at all. Welcome back to Quad World. Does the Artic Cat Live yet? Dave needs to get that fixed so he can go with us.

Old 09-07-2006, 12:19 PM
Pro Rider

Brent,
Yea, I figure they have a one hour minimum charge.

Mike,
Nope, the Cat is still in the shop and the mechanic is backed WAY up. Don't know if he'll get to it in time or not.

Old 09-07-2006, 01:09 PM
Range Rover

Brent,
Yea, I figure they have a one hour minimum charge.

Mike,
Nope, the Cat is still in the shop and the mechanic is backed WAY up. Don't know if he'll get to it in time or not.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img] Sucks!!!!!

Old 09-10-2006, 03:28 AM
Pro Rider

Hey Guys,
Well, let me take you thru a series of events about my quad and you tell me what you think.

A few months ago my quad would intermittently not start using the electric start button. Instead, I would have to use the pull cord to start it. Eventually, I had to use the pull cord to start it every time and the display was flickering and giving wrong information like - it would say that I was going 35 miles per hour when I was really only doing 18. Or, it would record that I had travelled 3 miles even though we had only ridden for about a mile and a half. I deduced, with some help from my friends, that my battery went bad and needed to be replaced.

While riding on the river, my 05 Kodiak suddenly died and would not start. After explaining my quad's symptoms here on this forum to you guys, it was suggested that I needed to replace the Stator. Other people I spoke to also suggested it was the stator.

I took my quad to the local dealer a few weeks ago, whom I bought it from, and told them my story (you guys read about this in my previous posts). About 8 or 9 days ago I called the dealer and asked about my quad. Instead of the stator, they said I needed a new CDI and they had already ordered the part. The part was in, but it hadn't been installed yet but that it would be ready by early next week (which was this past week beginning Monday September 4th). I said OK and that I would be in to pick it up by this weekend.

So, I called Thursday and they said my quad was fixed and ready to go.

Well, today (Saturday Sept. 9th) I went to pick it up. I told the guy behind the counter who I was and what I was there for. He rang up my order ($294.00) and yelled to "Nathan" to load my quad on my trailer. So, I waited around for almost an hour looking at the new models and accessories and mainly just waiting on them to load me up.

Finally, after almost an hour, I went looking thru their garage for my quad. As I walked into the 2nd garage door, I saw two guys hooking up a booster to the battery to get it started. So, I walked over and started chatting with the guys and they told me the battery was dead and needed to be jumped to get it started. Well, sure enough, once they jumped it, it started. We then went on to talk about Rivermist and that they rode down there often as well.

They were nice guys and even checked my winch at no charge because it had stopped working. Well, they deduced that is was either frozen up or fried. I said OK, I'll deal with that problem later. Meanwhile, I have a ride and campout planned for this weekend so just load it up.

Once I get the Kodiak home, I know I'll have to pull start it because the battery was dead. But, I was kinda confused as to why the battery was dead to begin with because I had "just bought it" before I took the quad to them. Anyway, I use the pull cord to get it started and ride it around for about 30 minutes to charge the battery.

Once I turned the quad off I tried to start it and guess what - NOTHING. It was dead. So, I put the battery on the charger and it showed that the battery was "fully charged". So then I used the pull cord to start it again and guess what now - I have the SAME symptoms I had before it quit running which are;

"I had to use the pull cord to start it every time and the display was flickering and giving wrong information like - it would say that I was going 35 miles per hour when I was really only doing 18. Or, it would record that I had travelled 3 miles even though we had only ridden for about a mile and a half."

So now I'm back to square one. I'm sure the dealer will take the quad back and try to fix it right this time, but my question is - Was the CDI bad to begin with or did they simply fix one of the symptoms of a different problem that may have caused a problem with the CDI to get it running? Or what? And should I be responsible for paying for the CDI if the CDI was not the real problem? And should I be responsible for paying for additional parts if they find the cause was something else? Put yourself in my shoes and ask yourself, "What would you do?"

James "I'm perplexed" Hale

One other thing:
It is my "opinion" that my quad was not fixed when I arrived. And that's why I had to wait for almost an hour before they would load it - because they were actually installing the new CDI while I was waiting. And since it had just been installed and they didn't want me to know that they had just installed it, the mechanics didn't have time to test or troubleshoot my quad before they released it to me. What do you think?

And one other thing;
If this had happened to you, would you buy from this dealer again or refer him to your friends in the future?

Old 09-10-2006, 04:01 AM
Pro Rider

first off kick the GM in the ***** and ask what the ***** where you thinking???? second, you have a dead short somewhere. more than likeley its probably in one of the wiring harness plugs look it over good check all the plugs and add dielectric grease to them. get a good look at the harness and see if its rubbed bare anywhere its zip-tied. wish you were closer so I could look it over a little better for you. could probably find it in 15min or less more than likely if I were you I would NEVER do this again. and now that I think of it unhook your winch and put a new battery in it and try it out betcha its your winch grounding out.
Bob

Old 09-10-2006, 10:53 PM
Pro Rider

Good call Bob, either a bare wire or the winch is the short.

Old 09-11-2006, 01:30 AM
Pro Rider

The winch has been disconnected since this all started a couple months ago. So, it must be a short from somewhere else. I hope the mechanics can find it before saturday. We've got that camp and ride this weekend you know. And Dave's quad is in the shop too. Don't know if it'll be ready by then either, so we're looking for someone who has a 4-wheel drive truck that we can borrow for the day.

James

Old 09-11-2006, 12:20 PM
Pro Rider

James, That sounds like a buch of crap to me. Im sure they will try to make it good, but its the fact it left there hands without being fixed. You need to talk to mark on this problem.

Brent

Quick Reply: CENTRAL OKLAHOMA ATV CLUB