Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

Changing to synthetic oils

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2003, 11:07 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing to synthetic oils

Hey,

Is there anything special that needs to be done if you want to replace the oil in your machine with sythetic (other than performing a normal oil change)? Is sythetic worth the expense even? What will it do for the service interval?

Just curious really .. thanks in advance for any help given.

Cheers,

Old 07-22-2003, 01:35 PM
Pro Rider

You don't need to do anything special except make sure you get synthetic that does not have friction modifiers, it will mess up your clutch. The wear difference on metal parts between synthetic and dino oil is tremendous, your machines will thank you for running synthetic.

Old 07-22-2003, 02:23 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks Ubetrun!

I knew that synthetics were better than standard oils, but wasn't sure how they'd react in a quad for the reason you mentioned about it ******** up your clutches .. can you recommend a synthetic to use? What do you use?

Thanks again!

Old 07-22-2003, 07:06 PM
Pro Rider

I run synthetic in every single engine that I own. Even my weedwhacker gets synthetic because it uses the same mix as my boys' motorcycles:-) When I think far enough ahead, I have my Dad order Amsoil at his dealer cost. If not Amsoil, I use Mobil1 from Walmart.

Old 07-23-2003, 02:13 AM
Trailblazer

I’ve seen lots of people use the new synthetic oils and they do seem to make a difference. When I have a new engine I run them. I don’t however see much reason to use them on a high mileage engine that has been fed regular lubricants all of its life. I have about 150k on my truck and I won’t be switching to synthetics in it. When I get a new ATV or build a new engine for my truck it will be synthetics all the way.

Not sure about the synthetics as far as gear boxes and axles though. I wonder about using synthetics in any parts that have clutch mechanisms or rely on friction to function. I would think some of those types of systems are designed with a specific coefficient of friction or viscosity. I’d be interested in hearing from anyone who is using synthetics in those applications or from some of the more advanced mechanical types who deal with automatic transmissions and other similar devices.

Old 07-23-2003, 09:27 AM
Pro Rider

mort,
<<Not sure about the synthetics as far as gear boxes and axles though.>>

amsoil gearlube works great, I run it in shaft drive motorcycles

<< I wonder about using synthetics in any parts that have clutch mechanisms or rely on friction to function. I would think some of those types of systems are designed with a specific coefficient of friction or viscosity. I’d be interested in hearing from anyone who is using synthetics in those applications or from some of the more advanced mechanical types who deal with automatic transmissions and other similar devices. >>

now this is true, for a synth oil to work in a wet clutch application it needs to be a NON ENERGY CONSERVING TYPE, by that I mean a SF, CJ type, like mobil 1 15-50, some folks also use devlac, but in my opinion, I'll take the 15-50 mobil 1 as it works fine, I run it in my royal star & v star, with no problems, and it is about 4.25 a qt. (note this is primarily sold as a auto oil, but it works great, I've been running it in motorcycles for 18K miles with no problems, had friends run it for 85K miles & check the clutch plates and they were at the low end of spec, so its good stuff)

Old 07-28-2003, 01:42 PM
Pro Rider

The service interval using regular oil is every 6 months or more depending on how much and how hard you ride.

What would be the synthetic service interval? I wouldn't want to change into synthetic and be getting into $40 oil changes every 6 months!!

Old 07-29-2003, 12:12 AM
Trailblazer

Use the Mobil 1 synthetic that has the red cap, it doesnt have the additives in it so it wont hurt your clutchs. I buy mine from Walmart for about $28 a case (6qts)