Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

Sag Settings

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2003, 04:06 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sag Settings

Does anyone know what the sag setting should be for a 400ex, front and rear?
I have a brand new pair of works triple rates in the front and a stock shock in the rear
Should i not worry about it and just ride it how i like it or does anyone really know what the sag should be?

Thanks!

Old 11-16-2003, 04:33 PM
Pro Rider
Default Sag Settings

Depends on what you're doing... Unlike a dirtbike, there isn't one "sag" setting that fits all. On a quad, usually frame to ground clearance is used as a reference.

For most types of riding, shoot for 8"

Old 11-16-2003, 04:52 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sag Settings

Sag is THE SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT SETTING ON YOUR SHOCKS!! Didn't Works send you instructions with the shocks??? Should be 20% of TOTAL suspension travel in front, and 30% in back. Lay a yard stick up against the front of the bike somewhere, and lift the front end up so there is no travel left in the suspension, and record that measurement. Then sit on the bike dressed in all you riding gear, and take the second measurement. Adjust the shocks so the sag is 20% of suspension travel.

The total travel is about 9", so your sag should be around 2". The Works have a c-clip adjustment, so you will need a shock tool to take the load off the spring while you move the clip.

I have Works on both my 400's. Steelers with cans on front, and ultracross in rear. These bikes EAT BIG DESERT WHOOPS FOR BREAKFAST!!

Old 11-16-2003, 07:58 PM
Pro Rider
Default Sag Settings

I don't agree with that at all.

Those figures are based upon dirtbike settings. ATVs are not dirtbikes and the suspension needs to be adjusted differently than dirtbikes.

I have had a lot of experience with shocks, I have three sets of PEP ZPS (two 16" front sets and 1 19" front sets as well as rears), a set of Axis, a set of TCS, a set of Elkas, a set of Ohlins, and a set of heavily customized shocks that started life as Works.

What I've found over the years is that your "ride height" is important - but there is much more to it than just throwing in a given percentage of your travel ... Many shocks setup for XC or MX (Desert, TT, and Flat track all have very different settings) are setup with an 8" frame to ground clearance in mind.

This "ride height" setting has a great effect on how the shock is setup. Set it up too low and you'll not have enough spring rate. Set it up too high and you'll have a high COG and too much spring rate.

Straight from the Custom Axis Manual:
2. Set the preload. The correct way to set preload on an ATV is to establish a desired ride height from the bottom of the chassis to the ground WITH THE RIDER or someone who weighs the same ON the bike. Since an ATV has a lot more in common with a car than a motorcycle, we need to tune it like one. (Sag is for motorcycles, NOT for cars, so don’t confuse yourself with it any longer.) Begin by taking two measurements – one in the front of the bike, right behind the back lower A-arm pivot. The other, in the rear of the bike right under the foot peg. You want to start with the bottom of the chassis level. Your right height should be about 8.0 inches; for MTGP, national and desert a little higher, TT and Circle Track, a little lower. You need to find what works best for you. Don’t be afraid to experiment. That’s what practice and testing is all about. Remember that you adjust preload to establish right height ONLY.