Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

Symptons of too aggressive a sand tire?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2000, 12:07 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read on the sand tires unlimited website: "Sand is to ATV's as air is to a plane and water to a boat".

During sand drags, if I have difficilty getting the RPMs to max out in the top two gears and reach top speed, does that mean I have too aggressive a sand tire for the HP and/or gearing? I find it difficult to believe it if it is true, because with the tires I am running I rarely can get the front end off the ground in the first 3 gears due to wheel spin. Should you go with the most aggressive tire you can stand until you reach the point of having problems keeping the front end on the ground?

Old 06-23-2000, 01:55 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what size tires and rims are you running? how many paddles? stock gearing? I have never ridden one of those yellow beasts, but i know banshee's typically won't pull 6th gear in the sand. My banshee makes about 85hp at the rear wheel, and it won't pull 6th gear. I think that STI might be trying to make a few more sales. what tire pressure are you running? you should be in the neighborhood of 4-6 lbs. you may have a traction problem that is causing you to spin off the line, or a you may be geared to low and spinning...
the lower the air pressure, the more bite the paddles will have, are they too hard?

there are alot of variables in a simple paddle tire...give me some more info and maybe i can help...