Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

Front wheel bearings

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2003, 10:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front wheel bearings

I am in the middle of trying to change the front wheel bearings on my 99 wolverine. After getting some advice on how to do this at all, I have taken the castle nut off which exposed the spindle. I was told that i should be able to get the bearings out from this point. That however is not the case. I have had to take off the caliper, disassemble the swingarm and tie rod too get the steering knuckle off. I have accomplished this, which was much more than I had anticipated. The bearings seem to me to be part of the knuckle assy. Is this correct for a 99 Wolverine? There is a rubber flange that seems to be molded into the knuckle preventing any access to get the bearings out. I am really discouraged because I purchased all the individual parts to replace my bearings and now I may have to buy (2) whole new knuckle that runs around $190.00. Please HELP!!! Someone tell me I do not need a new knuckle assy, and what my next step is. My previous posts were under treestand that is when I am at the office, Wolvyman is now my home name. Thanks in advance[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 12-04-2003, 12:52 AM
Pro Rider

First just relax and dont let it get to you etc.

The bearings should just be press fitted into the hub. I have not done this on a wolverine and it may be different but the bearings still need to be pressed into "something" so the wheel can turn. Knowing this there has to be a way to take it apart and reassemble etc.

Maybe you could find a manual or even get info on line etc.

Hope that helps till someone with more wolverine experience replies.

Old 12-07-2003, 01:47 PM
Pro Rider

Wow, I just did this on my Wolv not 2 weeks ago.

You have to do the steps you required but you do not need the new knuckles. You need to get yourself an inexpensive screwdriver, a vise, and a hammer, and pound your old bearings out. Take note as to which go where so you put the new ones in the correct places. Make sure to grease up your new bearings as you put them in, we used Valvoline synthetic. It will help keep the water and grit out of your new bearings and keep them alive a lil longer.

Did you purchase the complete kit to change the bearings? I got mine for like 45 bucks from PivotWorks - it had everything I needed, and I believe that includes the rubber seal you are worried about. Make sure you have the complete kit, if you got just bearings from a dealership they might have not given you everything you need.

Good luck!