Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

Which tires?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 11:53 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which tires?

I am in the market for some new tires. The ones i am looking at are the Mud Shark(21-12-10) for $49, Dirt Devil(22-11-10) for $39, Bear Claw(22-12-10) for $49 and Sur Trak(22-11-10) for $44. I am putting them on the back of my LT. I want a tire that hooks up great, slides well, wears good, and does pretty good in mud. The dirt devil and the sur track are on backorder. The two that im looking at the most are the Mud Shark and the Sur Trak, but the Sur Trak is on backorder. Tell me what you think, any opinions are welcome.

Old 03-30-2004, 01:42 PM
Pro Rider
Default Which tires?

What I think hmmm

I have seen riders use util or mud tires on sport machines b4, but what I dont fully understand is why.

If you ride enough mud that you honestly need a mud tire you may want to consider a different quad, and if you enjoy the one you have and dont go mudding all the time you may be better off finding a good performance tire that will do well or decent in mud.

Now I know that all the tires you mention are not serious mud tires but there all more aggressive than sport ones and are also taller and will handle more poorly etc. I have seen people with all kinds of different stuff on their quads but I think there are some great handling tires that will work acceptable in muddy conditions, but not a mud bogg.

If I had to suggest from the list you made it would be the sure trak, but I would be more comfortable to suggest one of the more sport oriented tires that offer a good open lug design. Holeshots and even razr's are good till you get into the gooey stuff so there not really a candidate. Maybe something in the lines of an all trak or even the overly heavy realtors would allow enought "bite" while still allowing less handling problems.

I wouldnt call them a mud tire but the Kenda Knarly has been known to be ok in some slop plus its good handling and bullet proof design dont hurt either.

Something that may also make better sense is some of the newer rear radials designed for utilities that have been coming out. A radial will offer a larger foot print while still being able to be run in a similar size but not raising the ride height as much due to desig of the tire.

I hope that helped you think of somethig that fits the performance of your quad as well as your traction in mud needs.

Old 04-02-2004, 01:44 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Which tires?

great post 440ex026 (with a tag like that, you must be a secret agent!).

I thought the bearclaws were a pretty good all-purpose, not overly mud crazy, but good in the mud, plus you can still slide.your pricing seems high. have you checked rockymountainatv, or atvoutfitters.net, or cyclemore4less ?

Old 04-02-2004, 12:43 PM
Pro Rider
Default Which tires?

IMO, the Interco TSL's work excellent for what you are describing... I use a set of 22" X 12.5" X 9" TSL's mounted on ITP 9" X 9" Bajas, for muddy course hair scramble tires... ( unless it's really muddy, then I use a set of 26" Goodyear radial MTR's mounted on a custom set of double bead locks)... the TSL's are light & durable, hook up excellent in the mud, & work remarkably well even on hard pack... I'm assuming that you would only mount these on the rears, as there would be no advantages & tons of disadvantages to mounting any of these tires on the fronts of a 2WD quad...

Old 04-02-2004, 01:15 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Which tires?

While tires come down to personal preference, I think this an area newbeatle knows about and speaks from experience. I'd listen to him. he gave me some good advice when I got my tires.

Old 04-02-2004, 11:07 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Which tires?

i recently purchased a 300ex and bought grips and dg nerf bars im thinking bout tires wat brand should i get?