Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

Shaft vs Chain

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2004 | 12:19 AM
|
Pro Rider
Default Shaft vs Chain

We are newbies and just bought a Suzuki Ozark about a month ago.

Question:

We noticed that most of the low-end models have a shaft drive while most of the high end quads have a chain. I understand that a shaft requires less maintenance but what is the advantage to a chain? I wouldn't think the high-end models would have a chain over a shaft drive unless there was some advantage.

Trails in our rainy area tend to get really muddy so I figured a chain would just get all gunked up and wear faster with all the mud on it as compared to a shaft. True? Why pick a chain?

Thanks

Dave

Old 08-17-2004 | 12:37 AM
Pro Rider
Default Shaft vs Chain

chains are cheap to replace or fix, but require more maintenance. shafts are expensive and if one is messed up you usually gotta replace the whole damn thing, but are usually low maintenance.

Old 08-17-2004 | 12:39 AM
Pro Rider
Default Shaft vs Chain

btw, where do you ride?

Old 08-17-2004 | 12:59 AM
RPM
Pro Rider
Default Shaft vs Chain

Shaft drives require less maintenance. They also give you more ground clearance. On the down side, with the exception of chainging your tire size, you are stuck with the gear ratio that the manufacturer puts in the quad, and shaft drives tend to take more power to operate.

Old 08-17-2004 | 03:10 AM
|
Pro Rider
Default Shaft vs Chain

So it sounds like the reason that the high end machines have a chain is because the makers assume that more people will want to change the gearing on those quads than the entry level ATV's.

I guess it just kind of seemed backasswards or something. If the shaft is more expensive than the chain and is more convenient to maintain, I would think the chain would be on the low end models and the shaft would be on the high end. Oh, well. I guess the ATV makers know what they are doing. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

nosliw

We have been to Evan's Creek, Capital Forest, and Tahuya. We are looking forward to go check out Gifford Pinchot ORV area South of Randle next.

Old 08-18-2004 | 01:18 AM
Pro Rider
Default Shaft vs Chain

I dont think that most high end quads are chain drive are they???

Old 08-19-2004 | 03:32 PM
Pro Rider
Default Shaft vs Chain

most "high end" sport quads are chain, most "high end" utility are shaft

Old 08-19-2004 | 09:09 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Default Shaft vs Chain

This isn't a high end vs. low end thing, but rather a ute vs. sport thing. There are plenty of high end very pricey utes, that have shaft drive. The main reason for a shaft, is if you are going to have a 4X4, you need to run a shaft out to the front differential, so you might as well run one to the back also.

A chain drive is way lighter, so that is the best option for a sport bike. There are however a couple of shaft drive sport bikes, like the 250EX (just a Recon in sport plastic) and the V-Force.

Old 08-21-2004 | 01:52 AM
Pro Rider
Default Shaft vs Chain

shaft drives are also tougher on landings and offer less manuverability than a chain.
Ex: drive off a 5ft ledge on a 2003 250ex then do it on a 1992 250x and you will get my point (the 250x had a chain drive)

Old 08-21-2004 | 01:53 AM
Pro Rider
Default Shaft vs Chain

and you dont really do any jumps on a ute like you do on a "high end" atv like sport quads

Quick Reply: Shaft vs Chain