Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

2002 grizzly rear inboard cv joint

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004 | 04:24 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default 2002 grizzly rear inboard cv joint

i shattered the inboard joint in the rear right. does anyone know what the deal is with heavy duty replacements so i dont break it again??? I was told that they dont make them for 02 only for 03 and up... what's the difference in the rear between an 02 and 03 and would it be possible to buy the 03 one and use it anyway??? any info please............

Old 05-12-2005 | 12:10 AM
Range Rover

give me a day or so ....ill make some calls

Old 05-12-2005 | 08:17 AM
Trailblazer

try this guy got mine in 3 days http://stores.ebay.com/CV- Restoration

Old 05-12-2005 | 07:47 PM
Range Rover

hey rc nitro .....you an ole devil dog?
.223 or .0306 cal.....

Old 05-13-2005 | 11:35 AM
Trailblazer

that would be .223 does wonders on golf ***** at 100yrd. man do they fly. like to see john daily do that.lol

Old 05-14-2005 | 11:29 AM
Range Rover

No, I'm afraid a heavy duty unit is not avaialable for the 2002 Grizzly. They are different from the 2003. They have 18 splines were it attaches to the shaft and the 2003 up models have 17 splines. The rebuild kits are available for $69.95 so at least you won't have to pay out the yingyang for the complete inner cv joint. If you want more details PM me. And thanks again rcnitro you are a team player!

Old 05-16-2005 | 10:18 AM
Trailblazer

hey cvman your parts still workin.lol got some long rides this past weekend and needed 4x4 it didnt fail me so thumbs up and kudo;sss

Old 05-17-2005 | 07:51 PM
Range Rover

That's what like too hear! Keep kickin it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]!

Old 05-18-2005 | 02:55 AM
Weekend Warrior

I too have a 02 Grizz with a torn right rear inboard boot. I read a post on here somewhere that c.v. man had given a very (excellent) detailed description of how to r & r the rear axle shaft and change the boot. Please help guide me to that post or just come over and change it for me.....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

thank you much!!!!!

Old 05-18-2005 | 09:47 AM
Range Rover

Hi Lenny,

I copied it again here for you(see below). I think this was the one you are looking for. If not go to "search" and search by author and it will list all of my post. Thanks for your intrest. PM me if you need any help.

If your getting clicking it sounds like it won't be long before you'll need a cv joint replacement or rebuild. But as far as inner cv joint removal this is all there is to it:
You can remove the inner cv joint from the differential by pulling on the shaft while prying it away from the differential with a pry bar or large screw driver. Or you may be able to tap it from behind to cause the "c" clip that holds it in the differential to compress and it will slide right out. Then you'll want to remove the clamps from the boot (you'll want to buy the additional clamp kit for $2). Being careful not to puncture the boot you can pry up on the tabs that hold the band in place or just cut by putting a screwdriver under them and prying up to give you enough room to get the metal snips under them. Once the boot is free slide it back toward the outer cv joint to expose the inner components. You'll find a large retaining clip that goes around the inside of the joint just above the ball tracks. Remove the clip by getting behind it with a small screwdriver. Once this clip is removed the inner cage, race, *****, & shaft will come out all together (wrap your hand around this to prevent the ***** from falling out all over the place). You'll find a retaining clip on the back of the shaft, remove this with retaining clip pliers or a large screw driver to spread the clip open. Once this is removed you'll be able to remove the cage, race, & ***** all together at one time. No your ready to install it on your new half shaft. Make sure the boot goes on first. Then place the cage, race, & ***** on the shaft making sure that the tapered side of the cage and race are facing toward the outer cv joint. Install the clip to hold it onto the shaft. Then fill the inner cv joint housing with grease and place it over the cage, race, & *****. Install the large clip. Now pull the boot down and install the large clamp. Then take a screw driver and place it in between the small part of the boot and the shaft and push the inner cv joint in all the way until it bottoms out. Then pull it back halfway (or to the mid range of the inner cv joint) and remove the screw driver and install the small clamp. Your now ready to install the axle back in the vehicle. If you have any questions or concerns P.M. me.
Danny
thecvman

-------------------------
Danny Walburn
"thecvman"

Quick Reply: 2002 grizzly rear inboard cv joint