Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

Swingarm bolt removal on 87 250R

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-1999 | 08:37 PM
|
Trailblazer

The swingarm bolt is frozen on my 87 250R. I've tried heat, shear force, and prayer. Nothing seems to help. Any advice?
Thanks
Brandon

------------------

Old 09-07-1999 | 01:05 AM
Weekend Warrior

Your gonna have to cut it. I have never done this but if you can move the bolt a little bit out you could grind both sides down then the swingarm will seperate from the frame. Expect to buy a new bolt, needle bearings, and bushings/spacers.

Old 09-07-1999 | 04:05 PM
Pro Rider

Brandon, I don't know if this would help, but you might check my reply to Stang re engine removal under Yamaha topics before you make any drastic choices on removal of your bolt.
One other trick, have you tried unloading the weight off the swing arm by jacking it up below the bolt?

THE AZ HARD PACKER,
calmiller@kachina.net

SAVE YOUR RIDING AREA! JOIN THE BLUE RIBBON COALITION ONLINE @sharetrails.org

[This message has been edited by hot_shoe_cv (edited 09-07-1999).]

Old 09-08-1999 | 01:25 AM
Trailblazer

Brandon, will the bolt rotate if you put
a socket and LONG breaker bar on it? If
it wont, try an air impact wrench.

http://community.webtv.net/murdo77/Quadzi
llaZone

------------------
Herbert~~99Wolverine & 89LT520

Old 09-08-1999 | 06:59 PM
Range Rover

Being that I have had to do this a couple of times already, I'll let you in on how to go about it.

Method 1:
Use this method if the bike is being stripped down and everything has already been removed from the frame except the swingarm. Flip the frame upside down and with a hacksaw cut the swingarm bolt in to between the frame rail and the round steel caps that are inserted onto the collars pressed into the end of the swingarm. There should be just enough room for you to get a hacksaw blade down between these two parts. This method saves the caps and collars so you can reuse them. You will still have to have a new bolt and sleeve.

Method 2:
Use this method if the bike is still completely assembled. You will need a small right angle pneumatic or electric grinder and 3 or 4 of the 4" cutoff wheels. Take your time and everything will go smoothly but it does take some time. First remove the front sprocket and chain. This should give you enough room to cut through the caps and collars that are pressed into the end of the swingarm. Do the same on the other side by inserting the grinder between the cases and the vertical frame rail. Once again cut through the cap and collar that is pressed into the swingarm. With this method, you will have to replace everything in the front of the swingarm. Be careful and don't cut into the frame or the swingarm. It can be done as I have removed swingarms by both methods. Before reassembly, install a grease fitting in the swingarm and coat the new bolt with antisieze. You shoud also remove and clean the bolt about every three months to be sure it doesn't happen again, especially if you ride in lots of water and mud.

Old 08-26-2004 | 06:01 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Swingarm bolt removal on 87 250R

I have a question in regards to this swingarm bolt....would it be possible to use a bolt from the hardware store of similair size as a temporary replacement. I can'get find anyone who can get me the part in time and am going riding for a weekend next week. Anybody done this? Any opinions?