Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

28" TriClaws....

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-1999, 12:56 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still don't see why Andy needs to leave the disscustion. If he needs to leave because he has stock tires then I guess I need to leave.

The Cat-o-matic might have a simular trans but it doesn't share a part with a snowmobile. The trans on the Cat-o-matic is made for a quad. It has compression braking, an aluminum cover so it won't melt, and it engages faster.

Lets all chill out. Ok?

Old 12-09-1999, 01:04 AM
Trailblazer

Okay...I'm chilled out.

I would like to get back to the original topic though. Does anyone KNOW of the Tri-Claw outperforming the Vampires in such a manner as to be considered "spanking" them? Please, only real world situations here.

"LOCK 'EM AND LEAVE 'EM!!!"
SwampMonster

Old 12-09-1999, 01:17 AM
Pro Rider

Did you read that reveiw at mudtires.com yet?
in the reveiw they got spanked bad by the 27" Tri-Claws (f and r)

Old 12-09-1999, 01:32 AM
Trailblazer

BONER!

What about the 27" Mud tire shootout in DW? Hands down, Vampires best in the mud again! Mud tires DirtWheels review only states that they perform better on hardpack than the Vampires. Nothing about mud performance.

SwampMonster

Old 12-09-1999, 03:52 AM
Pro Rider

All I know is that down here in Louisiana, the Vampires rule. It might be because they are made here but I dought someone would pay more for a lesser tire just because it is made here. I very thick and sticky mud I have heard that the claws are better but in the soup I here that the Vamps are better. All I know is that if I had the money to get any tire I would get the 28" Vampires on Itp Billet wheels for mud riding AND EITHER the lower priced Mud Sharks (if I had a winch) or the Titian for trail riding (IF THE 589S WOULD COME IN 27" I would shorly buy them as long as they were no more than 400 bucks for the set).

Old 12-09-1999, 11:40 AM
Range Rover

Hehe, I found some items in this post to be amusing and funny. Just thought I would share that.

Anyway, to the point.

I live in GA., I work part time at a Artic Cat dealership and motorcycle repair shop. I see many different types of quads with many types of tires. I also get to speak to the owners of these machines. I will tell you that here it seems that vamps rule the kingdom. Although there are three ACs that come to the shop that have 27 inch Tri-Claws on them. The owners of these machines tell me they like the Tri's better. Although I have some vampire owners to tell me that when they have ridden with the tri-claw owners that there vampires seem to perform better.

I really think it depends on what type of mud you are bogging in. To some that my seem a little crazy but the bog holes can be so tricky.

For instance here in Central GA we have a lot of red clay. For those who have ridden in this stuff, well it can be rough. Sometimes there are hard spots, but these hard spots are slick, and I do mean slick. This is where I think a Vamp would perform better. The long and super wide bars on the Tri-claws would basically stay on top and slip because the bar is so wide, on the other hand the vamp bar comes to a point and would stick into the top to maybe get a little traction.

Now the black mud is a different story. I'm talking about that swamp mud. The stuff you can lose a boot in. I could see a Tri-claw performing well here. The long bars could easily move the black muck to the outsides of the tires to bite there way forward.

In conclusion, preference will the final judge. Which tire you like better. Most around here prefer Vamps. I have a set of vampires on my AC 400. I like the vamps, but that doesn't mean that I DON'T like the Tri-claws. I think the Tri's are a mean looking tire, and I may even try a set when the vamps get slicker.

These are just some thoughts, thanks for listening.

Brad

[This message has been edited by Brad_L (edited 12-09-1999).]

Old 12-09-1999, 08:55 PM
Pro Rider

The Titan 589's will be availble in 27x12x12 and 27x9x12 according the Titan.

Old 12-09-1999, 09:08 PM
Trailblazer

Hey Brad_L!,

Let's get together and ride sometime! I live right outside of Swainsboro! As a matter of fact I met some other guys from Metter that have some mean 4x4's (snorkels, Vamps, etc...) I'm gonna hook up with them sometime soon. Also thanks for the input on the topic!

SwampMonster

Old 12-10-1999, 08:00 AM
Pro Rider

"Boner- you never posted anything like this though."

Andy what do you mean by that?

I would be pissed also if a company told me something that was untrue. Besides how would SwampMonstor know if they do or do not out perform better. Thats why he posted this question. What you call whining is because he bought what he was told was the best tire and then he is told differently. I would be made too.

Andy don't forget you were quite a whiner. Look at that post about the heavy steering.

Old 12-10-1999, 08:02 AM
Pro Rider

quad_man,

Where did you get your info from? I can't find Titian's web site anywhere.