Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

Wal-Mart (Victor brand)Tire Sealant?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-1999, 06:46 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wondering if anybody has used this product. It is half the price of Slime and was just wondering if it would work? It comes in the same size bottle at Slime but on cost $4.96. I can justify $20 bucks round trip on sealing them tires but I can't yet jsutify $40 for slime. I have two tires with slow leaks around the bead and it will cost me $20 bucks almost to have them broken down and resealed.

I don't know what the deal is with these ATV tires but no shop in town will break them down for you or remount them but the dealer? Anybody know?? Is it because the tires are so small that they will not fit on the average tire machine?

Anyway, any comments questins welcome!

------------------
Gap Arrington Dickson TN Honda ForemanES "and Yeller at that!"

Old 12-16-1999, 09:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

Gap,

I have used the Victor brand sealant and I've had good results with it. I have used it in one of my ATV tires (valve stem leaking) and in one of my boat trailer tires (leaking around the bead). Tuesday when I got my new tires I took a peek inside the one that had the sealant in it and it looked like brown water. I don't know if it had "broken down" or if it was supposed to look like that. I also have a gallon of the sealant offered by NAPA that is called 'Flat Proof'. I may try this or I might just splurge and get the slime since Wal-Mart is offering it now. Good luck with your choices.

------------------
Shane

'97 Honda 300 4X - Vamped, Locked, & Lifted

Old 12-16-1999, 09:31 PM
Pro Rider

Just be careful about the brand you use.. I can't remember which on it is, but there are a couple of them that will destroy your rims after a year of two of use... From what I've heard, it eats away at the metal... Now, if what has been said is rust, and you're running aluminum wheels, it might not be a concern... But it might be a chemical reaction that might be eating aluminum... Now that you're worried about it, I can't tell ya which brands had this adverse effect... I don't remember... Somebody on this forum does... not sure who...

Old 12-17-1999, 12:28 AM
Pro Rider

MudMachine-Not saying you're wrong, cause I am not sure, but I have heard that with Fix-A-Flat, but not with Slime. Are you sure it was Slime? If it was, please try to find out what brands and why and post it. I am going to buy some ITP aluminum rims and don't want to ruin them.

Old 12-17-1999, 11:59 AM
Trailblazer

Hey Gap,

I used that Victor stuff in an old four wheeler that I used to have. The tires would leak down flat in about 4 day. I put some of that stuff in there and ran it a little bit. Because the tire wouldn't seal on the rim because we just about ruined it trying to take it off, it took longer than usualy to keep the tire fully inflated. But once the green stuff got into the meesed up parts of the tire, it was wonderous. I never had any problems with the stuff eating up the rims though.

Old 12-17-1999, 01:12 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FIX A FLAT WILL RUST THE RIS OUT FROM THE INSIDE. I BOUGHT A HONDA AND CHANGED TIRES AND 1 HAD FIX A FLAT IN IT THIS STUFF IS A REAL DELIGHT TO REMOVE TIRES FROM THE RIM I WOULD STAY AWAY FROM FIX A FLAT AS FOR SLIE I DO NOT KNOW
LEX

Old 12-17-1999, 02:53 PM
Trailblazer

I had a leak around the bead of my rear tire and I used the Victor brand tire sealant from Wal Mart to seal it. That was over a year ago and it hasn't leaked since.

Old 12-17-1999, 06:57 PM
Pro Rider

Oh, I'm really not sure what brand name it was.. But I remember reading it in a post sometime back about somebody putting tire sealant in their machine and it ruining the wheel... My memory isn't that dependable, but I'm sure it wasn't Slime Brand.. Everybody and their dog runs that stuff ( Slime Brand) and if there were a problem, we would have ALL heard about it by now...hahahaha...
I lucked into some industrial tire sealant thats used on heavy equipment tires because they are so expensive to have broken down and patched.. It comes in a 5 gallon bucket, and its deep blueish in color.. The local tire shop charged me 20 dollars to do 8 tires (2 machines) They gave each rear tire 5 pumps and each front three.. He assured me that it would have no ill effects on steel and/or aluminum wheels...
More than likely, the stuff is made in the same factory that makes Slime... Just a different bottle and different dye.. It works.. I KNOW that....

Old 12-17-1999, 07:03 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks, I run the Slime in my steel wheels and had planned on running in the aluminum wheels, too. I ahve been told that a vampire has such a stiff sidewall that it can run with no air. Don't know it for sure, so I run the Slime. Thanks again.

Old 12-17-1999, 08:28 PM
Trailblazer

I have never heard of slime or any other sealant eating out rims but I have heard that you can't mix certain brands of sealant.
Sorry I don't rmember which brands .

------------------
400EX WOODSRACER

Quick Reply: Wal-Mart (Victor brand)Tire Sealant?