Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

how do I change the springs on my shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2005 | 09:15 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default how do I change the springs on my shocks?

I found a picture of the highlifter one at another site. The pic wa'snt that great, but all I needed was the basic principle. It will be simple enough to do, and tomorrow will be a great day for it since I'm off work, the snow is all plowed from today, and the new springs arrived today. Looks kinda like a fun project with a couple beers and the garage heating up as we speak.

Old 12-15-2005 | 10:52 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

Sounds like a good project to me neversunk, let us know how it turns out.

Old 12-16-2005 | 10:30 PM
|
Pro Rider

Its all done.....took me about an hour to make the fixture, and 45 minutes to remove the shocks, switch the springs, and re-install the shocks. Nothin to it......but anybody would be nuts to not wrap a safety strap around the shock to make sure it stays in the fixture. I'd post some pics, but don't know how to post them. Everytime I try to post some in the gallery it tells me they're too large and they can only be 150 mb (instead of the 456 that they are). If ya want a picture of the fixture give me a PM and I'll email them to ya.
The difference in the suspension with the plow on was unbelieveable. The highlifter springs are definately the way to go if you're gonna run a blackline plow. The springs were the same length as the factory springs, but I could really tell the difference when compressing them. I also greased the area between the spring tension adjuster and the shock....that might help avoid problem when adjusting the tension at some point in the future. The ride did'nt seem overly harsh although I did not drive it with the plow removed. Possibly tomorrow....but here certainly is less lean with the griz now.