Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

looking for sand tire suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 02:23 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for sand tire suggestions

i'm taking the family out to the dunes in a few weeks and we need to get some paddles on our quads. unfortunately i don't really know what to get. from what i've read so far, the straight paddles are better for drag racing and the v paddles are better for everything else. originally i was thinking about getting sand stars and calling it a day but i am curious if there is a better option available.

i'm not really looking to do a lot of drag racing, though it will happen every now and then. mainly i want a tire that will allow me to go and screw around without worrying about traction.

i'd also like a few opinions concerning the stock front tires vs front sand tires. is there really enough difference to justify the extra cost of buying a new set of front tires as well as the rears?

thanks for the help in advance! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-31-2006, 03:39 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I made my first trip out a couple weeks ago and really drove myself nuts with which tires to get. I knew I wanted V-paddles as dragging wasn't that big a deal for me, and was stuck between Skat-Trak Edge, or Sand Skate II's. Both of them were going to run about $230 to my door. After doing some further research I ended up getting a set of ITP Sand Stars on ITP rims. $190. They did great. I duned with them, jumped with them, and dragged with them and no problems at all. Might of won some of the close drags with a set of straight lighter paddles, but I didn't see anyone handing out prize money at the top of the hill, so wasn't too worried about that...

Bottom line, unless you are serious about dragging, save your money and go with the molded tires of descent quality, like the Sand Stars. They hook up great and are a blast to just run around on.

Same goes for the front...stock tire works fine there.

Old 02-01-2006, 04:59 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have several friends who have the newer generation of molded sand tires, and I DON'T LIKE THEM at all! They are HEAVY like a brick, and many of them are to narrow for good flotation. If you are a recreational rider and want to maneuver, get the V-shaped paddles. If you are a drag racer, get the straight paddles.

Call me old fashion, but I like the good old buffed down (LIGHT!) Skat-Trak Edges (V-shaped paddle), on one of the lighter rims. Up front, I like the Skat-Trak Mohawks (again on light rims), but if you are on a budget the stockers will do if you air them down some.

Our 250EX does well with 6-paddle Edges, and your Raptor would do well with 8-paddles.

Old 02-10-2006, 06:13 PM
Pro Rider

Here's my $.02.

I have the sand stars on the rear and run the stock on the front. They get me up comp hill, let me rip a bowl and just plain ole have fun. There are cheaper alternatives though. Kenda Gecko's are what all my friends run and they have no problems with them either. They are also half the price of the sand stars. I have ridden friend's atv's with the front sand tires and really didn't notice a difference. Maybe I didn't ride them long enough. They say that they have better control in turns.

So for starters start with the rear paddles and run stocks on the front. Then later you can decide on the front.

Old 02-10-2006, 06:17 PM
Pro Rider

Oh by the way, Hi Recon! We're headed to Glamis (either wash road or Gordon's) for the Pres day weekend next week. Join us if you can! We're meeting up with friends and family from AZ. I'm still trying to convince some local folks to come as well.