Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

Help with slipping gears

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 01:16 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with slipping gears

First post here.. I bought a 2003 Eton 150 cxl from a friend. We rode it for about a week.. but noticed that when it was going at the higher speeds the transmission sounded like it was smashing gears and would make a terible grinding sound. I noticed the chain was a little loose so I tightened that up (maybe a little to tight) but it is still doing it and getting worse. Esp if there is a load on it. like going up a hill.. it just pops out of gear and grinds.. Any help would be greatly appreciated (my 13yr son thanks you LOL)

I would take it to the shop but when I took it there last time it took them a month and a half just to look at it.

Old 08-07-2007, 04:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

any ideas?

Old 08-07-2007, 04:42 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hate to say this, but consider it a lesson well learned and get him a Honda! At 13 he is probably ready for a bigger quad like a 250EX anyway.

Old 08-08-2007, 12:18 AM
Weekend Warrior

I would love to but being a single father of two money is a little tight so I'm just trying to work with what I have and let them have the most fun with what we got.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok from what I can tell.. it has to be something in the transmission. It will pop out of gear and make the grinding noise.. the chain stops moving until it slows down enough to grab the gear. Do you think I will have to replace the whole transmission or can I tear it apart and just replace a gear in there?

Old 12-09-2007, 11:21 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hi OK...I hope you didn't sell it and I bought it. I just purchased a yukon that is having the same exact problem. in forward only. reverse is fine. grinding gears when a load is on it. I am in NJ....Curious what you wound up doing. i have taken the motor out and opened up the trans. I couldn't see anything obvious so i put it back together and tried it again. Still the same problem. trying to find out any info on the problem and resolution. I don't want to do much more to it without finding out. Please any commens are welcome thanks Kurt

Old 12-09-2007, 11:33 AM
Weekend Warrior

The problem ended up being the transmission.. if you take out the gear (forward -reverse) and look at the part that is supposed to slip into forward when you put it in gear. you will notice that the top of it is worn away a bit. After taking to several dealers about it I found that the first generation of these transmissions were pretty much scrapped. I forget the exact number on the serial scheme where they started putting the new ones in but I'm sure a polaris dealer can answer that (or let me know and I will find out) anyhoooo I had to order all the replacement gears.. which one of them is the clutch gear.. because they changed them all so they all had to be replaced. Costs around $200 -$250 with the gaskets and everything. Took about a day to put back together. If you take out the main gear and look at the top (forward) gear.. my bet is its lose. If you could find some way to get that to stay down on the compression fitting I bet it would work fine.. The new gear now has a clip ring that holds it in place. PM me if I can be of any more help.. I have the old gears still and I could take a picture showing you prob where your wear is. I know this is a very frustrating problem.. pissed me off for weeks LOL.

Old 12-09-2007, 11:37 AM
Weekend Warrior

Finally an answer....Mind if i call you?? email if you wish kstanwick@gmail.com with you number thanks Kurt

Old 12-09-2007, 12:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

Number sent

Old 05-15-2014, 07:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default pops out of foward

Im having the same problem can anyone help

Quick Reply: Help with slipping gears