Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

paddle tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007 | 12:43 AM
|
Trailblazer
Default paddle tires

ok i just got some skat trak hauler tires ive never had paddle tires before and i know ALOT of you have had them and know alot about them.

1..whats a good psi to put in them (hard or soft)

2..does it make a difference (my dealer put them on rims) if you look directly from rearend at them they are not identical like a paddle width difference.. would this matter? hard to explain like the tire is turned forward on one rim like 1-2 inchs

3..tried for about 5 hours to do a decent launch (raptor 700r) cant get hang of it would i need different sprockets? or front rear ?

Old 11-20-2007 | 06:26 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default paddle tires

wtf come on i know poeple that ride in/at glamis and other dune places can help me here

Old 11-23-2007 | 02:18 PM
Pro Rider
Started riding ATVs in 1974!
Default paddle tires

raptorSE,
Explain what your problem is when launching.

What is our tire size and paddle count?

Tire pressure is very subjective. I run around 4.5.

Old 11-23-2007 | 11:44 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default paddle tires

well with stock tires i was in 2nd or 3rd and lunched but now with paddles im gettin to much traction and 2 puts me on my *** instantly tried on wet and dry sand all sand where i ride is somewhat hard packed. thinking like sprocket wise etc.....

tires i have are 20x11x9 skat trac hauler 8 paddle

i didnt get any replys for like 5 days and posted a thread in where to ride forum guy said to change the hub splines THAT would work but i have durablue axle and its a striaght axle w/o splines its a pin

Old 11-25-2007 | 04:37 AM
Pro Rider
Default paddle tires

you might want to try a 15t sproket. and as far as your question in your other thread is it very normal for the paddles to not allign because they spin a tiny bit when riding.

Old 11-28-2007 | 02:45 AM
Pro Rider
Default paddle tires

Are you all the way forward? When I switched from Sand Stars to the Extreme Haulers even getting as far forward as I could would not keep the front down on a hard launch.

Basically you are at the point where you either need to roll off the line before nailing it or get an extended swingarm.

I went with a +4 and for my DS650 it has worked out great, it also lets me get on it harder climbing the steeper hills.

On the alignment, from what I have heard its not a big thing as they will creep like bigned1904 says, but I did the spline trick and got them lined up perfect. You might just try rotating one of the wheels and see if that helps.

Old 11-28-2007 | 07:06 AM
Pro Rider
Default paddle tires

honestly just because every one uses an 8 paddle tire does not mean its the best tire to use , yes it works good for riding around on sand but that does not mean its the best tire for drag racing, especially on wet sand.
i have watched alot of drag races and have been in a lot of drag races ,6 paddles rule the drag strip. padle brats are the best, skat's extremes a close second.
yes them kind of tires can be a major investment but thats what it takes to get off the line clean and first with out incident.
even if i had 10-20 more hp i would still use a 6 paddle tire for drag racing

Old 11-28-2007 | 02:26 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default paddle tires

well really just not used to paddles... looking into sprocket atm

dont want a swingarm this is not a 100% drag/hillclimb bike i ride in trails alot & to long of swingarm will kill clearance. i did have low 4psi in them i raised to 6 and it seemed to help some

then i have friends telling me to bore it and throw a cam in it then it wont matter how i luanch.

Old 11-28-2007 | 03:47 PM
Pro Rider
Default paddle tires

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: cataway

honestly just because every one uses an 8 paddle tire does not mean its the best tire to use , yes it works good for riding around on sand but that does not mean its the best tire for drag racing, especially on wet sand.

i have watched alot of drag races and have been in a lot of drag races ,6 paddles rule the drag strip. padle brats are the best, skat's extremes a close second.

yes them kind of tires can be a major investment but thats what it takes to get off the line clean and first with out incident.

even if i had 10-20 more hp i would still use a 6 paddle tire for drag racing</end quote></div>

Not on bigger quads, even going to a 7 paddle kills me getting moving. The 6 paddles may rule for the small bores, but not for the big bores.

Old 11-28-2007 | 03:59 PM
Pro Rider
Default paddle tires

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: raptorSE

well really just not used to paddles... looking into sprocket atm

dont want a swingarm this is not a 100% drag/hillclimb bike i ride in trails alot & to long of swingarm will kill clearance. i did have low 4psi in them i raised to 6 and it seemed to help some

then i have friends telling me to bore it and throw a cam in it then it wont matter how i luanch.</end quote></div>

Since you already have them, I would stay with the 8 paddle and just learn how to launch when you do race. I have not seen any Raptors running less than 8 paddles.

It took me awhile to go to the +4 arm for the very reasons you stated. I only drag race or hill shoot about 5% of the time I'm at the sand. The rest of the time I'm just duning. About 90% of my riding is on fire trails and dirt roads, and I was worried about how the longer arm would be for that, and its has worked out pretty good. But, this is on my DS which is nothing like your Raptor. It does not kill ground clearance, thats mostly set by your tires.

Quick Reply: paddle tires