Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

6 ply vrs. 2 ply tires.?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 10:29 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6 ply vrs. 2 ply tires.?

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Stoopidbot

Please! Have I told you about my F150 with the police interceptor, K&N intake, dual Flowmaster, and a superchip?</end quote></div>

Haha!! Police Interceptor?? What exactly is that?? Not to knock your truck, but people throw the "police interceptor" term around all too much.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:50 AM
Trailblazer

On a related topic, I am putting new tires on my '07 Foreman, no power steering. I want to put 25/10/12 on the front to replace the stock 25/8/12. I know That I need new rims but want to know if it will make it harder to steer. I'm sure quite a few of you have done this and am asking for your opinions

Old 01-02-2009, 10:59 AM
Pro Rider

The police interceptor is the same size motor but it has been upgraded a bit,

The Police Interceptor is equipped with an external oil-to-coolant heat exchanger to reduce engine oil temperatures, allowing the vehicles to idle for extended lengths of time without overheating. The engine oil coolers are notorious for seeping oil from the o-ring seals after extensive use.

The Police Interceptor engine calibration are a slightly higher idle speed (approximately 40 rpm higher) and minor changes in the emissions settings. The computer is tuned for more aggressive transmission shift points, and the transmission itself is built for firmer and harder shifts. It also has aluminum metal matrix composite driveshaft for the 1993-2005 Police Interceptors as a measure to allow safe operation at over 150 mph (241 km/h).

Old 01-02-2009, 11:01 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: petitecodiac

On a related topic, I am putting new tires on my '07 Foreman, no power steering. I want to put 25/10/12 on the front to replace the stock 25/8/12. I know That I need new rims but want to know if it will make it harder to steer. I'm sure quite a few of you have done this and am asking for your opinions</end quote></div>

Why would you need new rims? Certain tires will effect the steering in different ways.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:16 AM
Pro Rider

That's a good copy/paste there man. So this was a transplanted engine? Just asking because I know a basically stock F150 WILL NOT go anywhere near 150mph so there is no need for a better drive shaft to eliminate risk of drive shaft explosion due to excessive high speed RPM's. Drag coefficient is way to high, not enough power etc, ect... Go ahead and run the 2ply tires and add tubes for an extra level of protection. I have 2ply's on my 400ex and go in the nastiest trails my bud's go in with their 4x4's. I've gotten stuck because of ground clearance issues, but never punctured a tire as of yet.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:28 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: sprayedgt

So this was a transplanted engine? Just asking because I know a basically stock F150 WILL NOT go anywhere near 150mph so there is no need for a better drive shaft. Drag coefficient is way to high, not enough power etc, ect... Go ahead and run the 2ply tires and add tubes for an extra level of protection. I have 2ply's on my 400ex and go in the nastiest trails my bud's go in with their 4x4's. I've gotten stuck because of ground clearance issues, but never punctured a tire as of yet.</end quote></div>

It is a conversion package that ford offers. It was a gift from my father in law that has too much money. It is leather interior, wood grain paneling, the infinty roof lights and mirrors on the interior roof. It is like a cross between the high priced conversion vans and the F150.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:50 AM
Pro Rider

I was just asking because I have never heard of a Police Interceptor F150. I see people using that term in the Mustang crowd and it bugs me so bad. In that car all it is is a reinforced floor pan, 140 amp alt, 160 speedo, HD hoses and a seat side trunk release. People think it has a different engine but all the police interceptor engines, no matter what car/year are plain 'ol production engines.

Old 01-02-2009, 01:35 PM
Pro Rider

I can take a picture of the factory logos on the truck. The truck is still limited at 97mph but it's mid range acceleration is stupid fast.

Old 01-02-2009, 01:53 PM
Trailblazer

I think the front rims are narrower than the rear.

Old 01-02-2009, 02:29 PM
Pro Rider

If it has badges, it was most likely a dealer specific build. Meaning you couldn't go to every Ford dealer and get the same thing. The Ford factory did not build a police interceptor F150. The engines between the Crown Vic and F150 are not directly interchangeable. The blocks may be the same but the heads, intake, fuel lines, oil pan, timing cover, alternator, exhaust manifold and a few other things are different. Which is why I say it's just a badged up F150. No dealership would do the actual true conversion because the extensive cost/labor involved would bring the price so high they would not make any money on the sale. Not to mention the general public cannot just go into a dealership and buy a special service vehicle. These are built in fleets not one off's.

Quick Reply: 6 ply vrs. 2 ply tires.?