Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

6 ply vrs. 2 ply tires.?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 03:31 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6 ply vrs. 2 ply tires.?

I never said you go into any Ford dealership and buy one. They are Limited Edition kind of thing. Like buying a Rouche Mustang. It is a complete conversion kit. They make a certain amount. When he purchased it, he got a Conversion Membership # on the vehicle tag and everything. I never said it was a service vehicle either. It is an upgraded conversion kit. It even came with power sliding rear window on a 97.

Old 01-02-2009, 03:55 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: muddyweekends

ok i brought some 2 plys today for my grizzly , not knowing my 4x4 had 6 plys. should i not use them.?

if not would they be ok on my kodiax.? i dont see a ply listing on them ?

thanks.</end quote></div>

Are you sure you aftermarket tire are only two ply? If they do not state it on the tire they should use the "Star" symbols.

Not to many aftermarket tires around for utility ATVs that are 2plys that I know of.

1 star=2 ply

2 star=4 ply

3 Star i= 6ply.

Its not just that 6 ply are less likely to puncture,the tire are much firmer and resist folding under the rims on turns which makes for better handling.

Yamaha,Honda and AC usually have cheaper 2plys on the ATVs from stock for cost savings.

Old 01-02-2009, 04:13 PM
Pro Rider

A true Police Interceptor IS a Special Service Vehicle. A dealer specific conversion is a totally different thing. I just see no real reason a dealership would call a F150 a Police Interceptor other than deceiving an uninformed customer and charging X amount of dollars for what equates to $20 in badges and calling it a Police Interceptor when in reality there is no such thing. A power sliding rear window can be added to any truck for extra $ at any dealership or car stereo store. I truly hope he didn't pay too much for it.

Old 01-02-2009, 05:05 PM
Pro Rider

In stock form it stomped on ALL other 1/2 tons like you wouldn't believe. Because you never heard of it, well them it obviously doesn't exist. If you read the above it is minor difference how the fuel programming is set up and it has a different drive shaft along with some other things. Think what you will, I know what i have.

Old 01-02-2009, 05:26 PM
Pro Rider

The drive shaft specs you mentioned is for the Crown Victoria and was used to keep it from failure at high speeds (150 mph +) . Also as you mentioned above, since the truck is still limited to 97 mph shows the ECU is a production unit, not a Police Interceptor specific part which would over ride the 97 mph speed limiter. Which shows that it's not a true Police Interceptor. I don't doubt it has the badges and such. I am just saying that your truck is a dealer optioned truck. A few badges and a higher sticker for no good reason. The F150 is an awesome truck. I had a 2004 F150 King Ranch with the 5.4 a few years ago and loved it. But I ended up trading that for a Lightning instead.

Old 01-02-2009, 08:32 PM
Pro Rider

My father in law also has a lightning. The truck isn't far off of that until it about 65 then the Lightning is gone. I'm not saying the truck has an ACTUAL police motor in it. It is just a few things they put on they police interceptor that they used the same technology in the Conversion Package. You are right about the part that it is not an actual service vehicle. It accelerates WAY faster than a normal F150.

Old 01-02-2009, 08:56 PM
Pro Rider

No harm no foul. It's all good. We're all here for the ATV scene, and me and you are both are Ford men. It just sucks that some dealerships throw terms around to get people to buy a marked up vehicle. Assuming your father in-laws truck is the last generation 5.4 SC engine have him do the upper and lower pulley, ported plenum, 90mm mass air meter, 80mm throttle body, full exhaust and a tune then see how it runs. I put down 516hp/548ft lb tq with this same setup.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:31 PM
Pro Rider

Nice!!! He is a drag racer. One of his cars (which is my favorite) is a super gas. 1000HP out of a 555 Chevy. No laughing gas! This is his funny car.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBzkpVPz5cg

This is his old old car.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfb0GckdX6M

Old 01-02-2009, 09:42 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah drag racing is the ****!! I love it. When I get my Supra finished it should be putting down close to 1,000hp on a 200 shot. Hehe ask him if he wants to race:-p Those are some NICE cars!!!

Old 01-02-2009, 11:23 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

According to Ford's website the only interceptors they make are Crown Vics and they sure as heck aren't limited to 97mph. Neither is my 4.8 liter Z71 Silverado for that matter. An "F150 with the police interceptor, K&N intake, dual Flowmaster, and a superchip" should do more like 150, not 97. Stoopidbot, was that a regular super-chip or a super-slow-chip? And was that the 250 HP 4.6L FFV OHC SEFI V8 police interceptor engine? If so it's 15% less power than the smallest V-8 you can get in a Silverado, which is 295 HP. I googled police-interceptor-f-150 and only got 2 results. Do you know how hard it is to only get 2 results from google? I googled something that actually exists in the real world, ****, and got 218,000,000 results compared to 2 for this police inteceptor F-150. One hit was f150online where a guy says, hey how about an F-150 interceptor, since Ford doesn't make one. The other hit was a place selling something for a police interceptor and an F-150. And it wasn't a mirrored ceiling like some 1970s f*ck-bus conversion van. Police interceptors don't have leather and woodgrain interiors either.

Quick Reply: 6 ply vrs. 2 ply tires.?